(Re)Election 2004

Speak your mind! This is the off-topic forum.
Jeff
Founder
Founder

(Re)Election 2004

Postby Jeff » 2004.11.03 12:39 pm

Your thoughts?

I'm, of course, happy with the results. But I also have a new appreciation for John Kerry. He took the high road by making his concession and not making a huge bloody battle over Ohio.
I do what I can.

tigers_free
Generating Controversy
Generating Controversy

Postby tigers_free » 2004.11.03 3:30 pm

Well, I would of liked a fresh start, but the more I thought about it, Kerry was against the war and would of backed off. I think backing off would of shown that the terrorists can intimidate us. I was against the war but in all honesty we need to see this to the end. Kerry didn't have much of a choice but to concede. The popular vote was for Bush, unlike in 2000 where the popular vote was in Gore's favor. I did hear only 17% of 18-24 year olds voted. Thanks alot P.Diddy and your vote or die crap.(insert sarcasm button)

I'm just curious, did anyone stay up most of the night to watch the election unravel?? Listening to P.Diddy say "tight as a frog's ass" a hundred times gave me a enough incentive to turn off the tv and get off the couch and do a taco bell run.
Zhivyje Pozavidujut Mertvym !-Dostojevskij

DoomCraft
Local Legend
Local Legend

Postby DoomCraft » 2004.11.03 4:12 pm

I'm celebrating. Jeff, I noticed right away as well on how kerry conceded and didn't pursue the voting to where it would get out of hand. I think the previous election when gore did that, delt out some damage to the democratic party and it's honor. I feel almost bad for the democrats, they put alot of hard work into trying to win this and unfortunately they fell short. Not only is it a surprise for me that bush win, but all the news stations got smacked around. I feel like making fun of everyone of them for assuming that kerry had already won by 5 p.m. early tuesday afternoon by nothing more than exit poll stats.

I'm glad to know that bush will be continuing his presidency, it's almost comforting to know that we will be safe or at least as safe as possible. For my democratic friends, don't worry there won't be no stupid draft and I highly doubt you would have noticed anything different from what the next 4 years will bring you than if kerry got in.

Bush rules.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.11.03 4:33 pm

Democrats seem to be nursing their wounded pride today. I see signs all over doors: "I can't wait to be drafted" -- What? Blind following is bad, people. It was the republicans who knocked the draft proposal down. Whatever.

And politicians are corrupt no matter who's in. I'd rather have someone like Bush, who isn't a skilled politician (and by that I mean slick liar), in charge. He seems like a real person. Kerry, to me, seemed as fake as his botoxed cheeks, which seemed almost dispondent today.

So yeah, the better man won. Let's see where this goes.
I do what I can.

DoomCraft
Local Legend
Local Legend

Postby DoomCraft » 2004.11.03 4:37 pm

Well having bush in, i'll admit is a small risk. Maybee not as much as having someone like kerry in, but i'm still going to keep my eyes open throughout the presidency and i'm prepared to swollow my pride if something goes horribly wrong.

It's just people consider the last 4 years as ruin and I just don't see it. I think we are safer than we ever were from terrorism. Taking an offensive was daring and easy prey for those who were looking for a reason to remove bush, but I think the boldness of it just shows us how strong we as americans are and obviously the majority of americans agree with me in showing the trust we all have for bush to be our leader.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.11.03 4:42 pm

Really. The department of homeland security was a good idea 9/11 or no. It centralized a lot of stuff. I'm not a fan of the patriot act, but things could be worse. I don't agree with the war where it is today, but I didn't like Kerry's vague plan about it. I think we're better off, and time will tell if I'm right or not.

It's just nice to have voted for the winner. :)
I do what I can.

DoomCraft
Local Legend
Local Legend

Postby DoomCraft » 2004.11.03 4:54 pm

I don't know if the war at it's point now is at the best it could be, but I mean i'm satisfied with how far we have come. I figured we would have backed out by now, but to be honest I think we are still pushing forward. One thing for sure, we better have a huge celebration once our troops come home... something as big as wwII had. Back in desert storm, even though it wasn't a loss/victory really, I don't think we gave them the credit they deserved.

It feels great knowing you voted for the winning side because well, you are with the majority. Even losing (I voted for dole vs clinton), it still feels good knowing that you at least voted for the candidate that you believe in. Plus if bush fucks up, all the democrats will have something to complain about... because I mean, what would a democrat have if he didn't have something to rant about?

playswithflowers
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby playswithflowers » 2004.11.08 11:29 pm

Do any of you even know why Kerry quit so quickly? His wife has cancer. Thats why. And if i were him, i too would have put my wife's welfare infront of my own needs.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.11.08 11:42 pm

I doubt that. He could have made a huge cancer awareness thingie out of his presidency. I think he dropped out because it was the decent, gentlemanly thing to do.
I do what I can.

tigers_free
Generating Controversy
Generating Controversy

Postby tigers_free » 2004.11.09 10:21 am

ahhhh, I thought it was Edward's wife who has the cancer, not Kerry's.
Zhivyje Pozavidujut Mertvym !-Dostojevskij

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.11.09 1:45 pm

Yeah, me too.
I do what I can.

playswithflowers
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby playswithflowers » 2004.11.09 3:45 pm

Sorry, thats right, it was elizabeth edwards, i heard it was kerry's wife from alot of people. I think thats the reason he quit right away....alot of democrats wanted him to recount alot of states

http://www.suntimes.com/output/elect/cs ... ide21.html

From the way that looks, kerry and his party were planning on fighting it till the very end

DoomCraft
Local Legend
Local Legend

Postby DoomCraft » 2004.11.12 12:59 am

playswithflowers wrote:....alot of democrats wanted him to recount alot of states

Isn't that the tradition?

playswithflowers
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby playswithflowers » 2004.11.12 2:58 am

Recounts happen only if it reaches a preset margin of that state. (Not because democrats want to recount) The only reason the 2000 election was such a mess is because the popular vote was in gore's favor, and electoral in Bush's. This caused suspicion in swing states like Florida that needed to be recounted.

Lets look at Ohio, since that was the deciding vote:
Usually a recount occurs in Ohio if the margin is 1/4 of one percent (or more at the discretion of the secretary of state) between the two candidates. So since the total number of votes between Kerry and Bush was 5,455,811 people, the margin of votes between the two would have to be around 13,639 votes in the entire state.........If you add it up, the actual difference was 136,483.....thats a far stretch from the recount number.

So its understandable why Kerry conceded, that and putting Edward's family through a recount while trying to care for his wife at the same time would be too much. It turns out that Edward's wife has the same type of breast cancer my mom had......It's a ductile type of tumor that, granted can be treated, but can easily spread to other parts of the body very quickly.......it was something that needed attention immediately........

And as for you Doomcraft, stop patting yourself on the back for a job well done and understand that and ideals different than yours aren't necessarily inferior.

hippo
Gaining Potential
Gaining Potential

Postby hippo » 2004.12.23 4:27 pm

All right!! lets give it up for democracy! And this will continue and be remembered for what happened.
http://www.freepress.org/index2.php

especially,
http://www.freepress.org/journal.php?st ... Journal=30
"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."
Albert Einstein

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.12.23 7:05 pm

Cheese with that whine?

Spoilage votes were all for Kerry? Republican voters are smarter and more privileged? Black voters all want to vote Democratic so the right-wing evil-doers are keeping them from the polls? The only corrupt political party in the history of these United States are the deplorable conservatives? Give me a break.

Bush won and Kerry lost by the rules and regulations of our grand, bureaucratic political system. It is impossible to state otherwise. If you believe that John Kerry had more American voters behind him, you need to find out where in the system they were failed. We do not have a perfect and accurate voting system. The requirement of a valid photo ID at poll sites has been shot down repeatedly by liberals in Congress who feel it would be unfair to the poor and uneducated. A secure, universal, accurate, and foolproof system for voting has yet to be implemented. Even I had to look twice at my ballot to make sure I voted for who I wanted to vote for.

The Bush administration won (again) because they understood the voting system. It's like knowing the tax code to get a better deduction. Is it honest? Maybe not. But it works.

In the meantime, continue to support the "real" President by buying overpriced books on Ohiogate and other such scandals. Remember, the authors don't want your money at all. They only write so you can know the truth.
I do what I can.

hippo
Gaining Potential
Gaining Potential

Votes being looked at before ratifying

Postby hippo » 2005.01.05 1:40 am

http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/123104W.shtml

Here is what's happening on Jan 6th.

After reading some of jeff's comments, I'd have to agree, most of the stuff he found is the same ol tiresome "liberal" rhetoric which usually holds up for both parties. i couldn't wait for the elections to be over so it would stop sounding.
though, in something sooo close, you can't overlook anything.
It could be that more injustice against voters was caused than some of us even know. or maybe not. we'll see in 15 years how everything pans out.
"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."

Albert Einstein

Return to “Ramblings, Rants and Ravings”