Important for UW-O students

Speak your mind! This is the off-topic forum.

Read the post first, then tell me do you agree?

Yes, I agree
25%
No, I don't agree
25%
I really don't care
50%

Total votes: 4

playswithflowers
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Important for UW-O students

Postby playswithflowers » 2004.11.08 6:32 pm

I recently attended the OSA weekly meeting, and a sub committee is planning to make the drinking social life a little difficult.

The rep from AODA (the anti alcohol and drugs org) is the member of a committee that is trying to make the repercussions for hosting house parties a bit more harsh.

Including the usual $700 fine placed on a house from a party, the school's administration will get involved if a student is hosting the party.

Now what does that mean to you??
Well, if you are over 21, a student, and are hosting a house party, the description of punishment was vague, but basically, you will not only be fined, but punished by the school as well

If you are under 21, a student, and are hosting a house party, you will be fined the $700, punished by the administration in some way or form, as well as your parents will be notified.

Now some of you might be thinking, "Wait, we're over 18, they can't call our parents...." Well, apparently they can, from what i was told at OSA, the privacy law was changed for stipulations just like this one, so yes, if you are under 21, they can notify you parents.

Anyhow, so if you want to support/oppose this idea, here's what you can do:

Wednesday, November 17th
11:00 AM
Reeve Union room 220
The sub committee, or the main assembly (they didn't really say which one) will be meeting and discussing this issue.

If you don't feel like going to the meeting or, you cant attend, you can also send your concerns to the following:

James Chitwood, Dean of Students
Dempsey Hall, Room 125
(920) 424-3212
chitwood@uwosh.edu

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.11.08 8:19 pm

Meh, I guess I don't care, since I'm not big into the college drinking scene. But I hate it whenever students have less rights (in this case, privacy) than the average person, so if I was a drunk, I'd probably be vehemently opposed to this.
I do what I can.

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

Postby Red » 2004.11.08 9:50 pm

:cry:
I'd piss Coors if I could. You believe that happy crappy?

peteyboy
Local Legend
Local Legend

Postby peteyboy » 2004.11.09 12:42 am

I'm with Jeff. meh.

playswithflowers
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby playswithflowers » 2004.11.09 1:45 am

i personally dont think its a matter of whether you drink or not, i think its a matter of the administration being involved in off campus affairs. I dont think that a person should be punished on campus for something they did off campus. Really, the only thing administration has control over is if you committ a crime on campus or if your grades really suck. I dont think off campus parties should be an issue they should cover.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.11.09 3:04 am

To play devil's advocate, consider what that does to the school's reputation. That's the same shtick they gave us in high school. I don't think they should have that power, but I can see why they want it, and it's not just to provide extra punishment.
I do what I can.

playswithflowers
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby playswithflowers » 2004.11.09 3:47 pm

I know thats not the reason.....i sat through 45 minutes of OSA debate......so yeah, i know its not the reason. AODA wants this to happen to prevent drinking problems, they think that if they deter houseparties, the instance of alcoholism in students will decline.........you just want a fight dont you?

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.11.09 4:03 pm

Not really, but I don't think that a decrease in the number of house parties will decrease the amount of student problem-drinkers. If you're a problem drinker, you can go anywhere for booze. I've had this guy on my floor ask me four different times if I wanted booze while he was going to the liquor store. It's like saying if we removed most of the beds in the dorms, students would no longer sleep. You can sleep on the floor, damnit. It's not as fun or comfortable, but it works.
I do what I can.

playswithflowers
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby playswithflowers » 2004.11.09 4:10 pm

Im not saying it would, but this is what ADOA has in their heads...that it will deter students from drinking/hosting parties because of more reprecussions

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.11.09 4:35 pm

Well, they're dumb, then. :)
I do what I can.

playswithflowers
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby playswithflowers » 2004.11.09 8:54 pm

Well, what else could they do? Become more privatized and allow room searches?

Return to “Ramblings, Rants and Ravings”