Criminal?

Speak your mind! This is the off-topic forum.
Jeff
Founder
Founder

Criminal?

Postby Jeff » 2004.11.14 2:46 pm

Here's a question: Say you were accused of a violent crime, but cleared on DNA evidence. Do your DNA and fingerprint profiles stay in a criminal database of some sort? I mean, you're innocent, right? Why should your info be in there?

It kind of makes you wonder: If that's not a violation of your rights, why aren't all people required to register their identifiables with the criminal justice system by the age of 18 or something? After all, if innocents falsley accused of crimes have no choice, why not the rest of us?
Last edited by Jeff on 2004.11.14 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do what I can.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Re: Criminal?

Postby Kage » 2004.11.14 6:18 pm

jeff wrote:Here's a question: Say you were accused of a violent crime, but cleared on DNA evidence. Do your DNA and fingerprint profiles stay in a criminal database of some sort? I mean, you're innocent, right? Why should your info be in there?

It kind of makes you wonder: If that's not a violation of your rights, why aren't all people required to register their identifiables with the criminal justice system by the age of 18 or something? After all, if innocents falsley accused of crimes have no choice, why not the rest of us?

I believe after being a suspect they will keep the file just in case you are convicted and or a suspect of another crime to the similar sorts. I think that if a innocent suspect was suspected of another similar crime, they can use that to re-open the case.

This is all based on hunches and shady Discovery channel glances.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.11.14 6:28 pm

I know, but that's unfair based on the way our criminal justice system is supposed to work. Innocent until proven guilty?

One could argue that if a few innocent people end up with their DNA on public record, all innocent people should. If it's not a rights violation for some, how can it be for all people?
I do what I can.

tigers_free
Generating Controversy
Generating Controversy

Postby tigers_free » 2004.11.14 6:56 pm

Something to think about...DNA on public file can go beyond a crime, what about paternity tests...where mother,father,child all become part of a permanent court file..this I know for sure because I looked into my mother/fathers bitter court battle and there my DNA was , in court documents dating 1978. I am innocent of any crime..Oh and I like your siggy kage...thats pretty funny :lol: (coming from a xbox widow and a mother to a son whos addicted to his game cube)
Zhivyje Pozavidujut Mertvym !-Dostojevskij

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.11.14 6:59 pm

Oh man, that's right! I can't wait to show Tony my Xbox! Maybe I'll come up and visit over Thanksgiving break.
I do what I can.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.11.14 8:29 pm

tigers_free wrote:Something to think about...DNA on public file can go beyond a crime, what about paternity tests...where mother,father,child all become part of a permanent court file..this I know for sure because I looked into my mother/fathers bitter court battle and there my DNA was , in court documents dating 1978. I am innocent of any crime..Oh and I like your siggy kage...thats pretty funny :lol: (coming from a xbox widow and a mother to a son whos addicted to his game cube)

Off Topic: According to MAVAV I am a very evil and violent person. Everything in their article page is everything that is "fun" for me. :)

On Topic: I guess that's just how the cookie crumbles.

tigers_free
Generating Controversy
Generating Controversy

Postby tigers_free » 2004.11.25 5:24 pm

I saw a quote online that made me think of MAVAV and this thread

"computer games dont affect kids. i mean if pacman affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetetive music."

oh and btw jeff , your dad stopped into work and told tony all about your xbox, now i all i hear is " i want a modded xbox" "i want one" "puuhhllleeeaassee" with puppy dog eyes...i live in solitaire now with the regular xbox.. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.11.26 12:56 am

Red has that T-shirt, I think. And if Tony wants a modded box, all he has to do is send his in to ModOrDie.com, and they'll put the chip and hard drive in for him. Then just give me a call and I can load it up.

You may lose your husband forever, though, so I'd recommend regularly hiding the power cord.
I do what I can.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.11.26 1:12 pm

Overwhelming Response
We have received an overwhelming amount of letters on the topic of video game addiction and violence. While the majority of the responses were sent in by feral young children and pre-teenage gamers (a very surprising statistic, more proof our cause is not in vain), a great handful of parents did submit stories of their real life experience handling video game related addiction and violence in their own family. We plan to post their stories online as well as our updated article section sometime after the New Year, so please check back soon!

It looks to me like MAVAV is fighting a black and white battle, in their eyes. Adults vs. Children. How they are ever so wrong.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.11.27 4:15 am

The kids are feral? Wow. I'm surprised they know how to send email.
I do what I can.

tigers_free
Generating Controversy
Generating Controversy

Postby tigers_free » 2004.11.29 8:14 pm

hmmmm I don't know if I'm wrong as a mother,maybe it will come back and bite me in the ass, but as long as his homework is done and his schoolwork doesn't suffer, I allow my son to "game" in his freetime. It amuses me when he conquers the game before his dad :lol: I'm kinda hoping my kid will grow up and be all techie smart like Jeff 8)

No sarcasm was meant either :wink: Jeff's a good kid :)

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.11.29 9:27 pm

aww.. you're gonna make me blush :) but kid? you don't even have a decade on me. ;)
I do what I can.

Return to “Ramblings, Rants and Ravings”