Gay Marriage

Speak your mind! This is the off-topic forum.
Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2005.03.19 3:36 pm

Bryan - TBN Forums wrote:Do you believe in gay marriages being legal? Why or Why not. I personaly don't think doing another guy is what we were born to do :-p

I'll have to disagree with you, and I disagree with you extremely. I don't think sexual preference effects me or will it ever effect me. The worst that can happen to me is another guy asking me and I can coolly reply, "No way man, I don't roll like that." 8) If two guys want to get married then more the power to them. I guess the popular phrase is "Whatever floats your boat".

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2005.03.21 12:14 pm

Well, some dictionaries still profess that marriage is a union between a man and a woman. Oh, well.

Marriage is a union between two things. Recently, there was a "marriage" theory as for how modded Xboxes got singled out and banned from Xbox Live. Gender doesn't come into play.

We can't deny that marriage has been traditionally between a man and a woman. Or that the biological result of a union of a man and a woman is important to the survival of our species.

Conversely, isn't it wrong to deny two people in love, who want to spend their lives together, a legal union that will provide them with economic benefits?

I can understand denying a gay marriage to take place in a Christian church, or under any other religious or faith-based pretense. Basic Biblical doctrine says that it is not God's plan for a person to be gay. This does not mean gay-bash, both the Torah and the Christan Bible state that you should love your neighbor as yourself.

However, a legal union should be allowed at a courthouse or in any place of worship that condones homosexuality. What are people afraid of? Many people in gay couples are starting to get insurance benefits from their partner's firm. It's a changing social and economic landscape. Roll with it.

Bryan wrote:I personaly don't think doing another guy is what we were born to do

That's a seperate and deeper issue than whether or not gay unions should be legal, dontcha think?
I do what I can.

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

Postby Red » 2005.03.21 2:18 pm

Let's Look back the religious reasons that gay marriage is wrong, because we can go back and forth on this topic forever otherwise.

Whether or not it's ethical to marry a gay couple, it's wrong to deny them that based on the premise that they're being denied the economical benefits of marriage. So many are against gay marriage, our president included, because marriage between a man and a woman is the traditional way. We no longer live in a traditional society. We live in a society where standards have changed. The acceptance of homosexuality on various levels happens to be one of them.
I'd piss Coors if I could. You believe that happy crappy?

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2005.03.21 5:00 pm

Well, we're not discussing homosexual lifestyle, just homosexual unions.

A generally driving purpose of a union between a man and a woman is to raise a family. That's biological imperitive at work. Granted, many married couples don't have children, and some married couples adopt, but sooner or later, someone has to have good old penile/vaginal intercourse, and that's where the family comes in.

Granted also, that you don't need to be married to have a family (as is becoming more and more common in the last few generations) but marriage and family have been closely tied since the invention of the entire institution.

So the main purpose of a homosexual union is most likely other than family. It's as symbolic as a wedding ring itself. Symbolic of love and commitment. Whether or not you agree with the elements of a homosexual lifestyle, how can you deny someone the privilege of that symbolism?

The institution of marriage has already had its image tarnished by heterosexual couples that don't respect or abide by the original commitment. Nothing, generally speaking, is permanent or lasting about marriage anymore. This, by the way, is legal marriage, not religious marriage. We all know the Catholic church's opinion of divorce. So any objections that homosexual marriage will somehow sully or cheapen the institution is rediculous.

Keep legal legal and keep religious religious. Marriage defined by Christianity has different rules and expectations than it does legally, and it does not include homosexual unions. That's just fine though, because legal marriage is a generally economic issue and there should be no place at all for moral objections except that banning it will infringe on many people's civil rights.
I do what I can.

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

Re: Gay Marriage

Postby Red » 2012.02.13 1:39 pm

I love my wife, but I would also like to marry Paco.
I'd piss Coors if I could. You believe that happy crappy?

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Re: Gay Marriage

Postby Jeff » 2012.02.13 6:34 pm

I, too, support bisexual polygamy. Vote yes on Prop. 808!
I do what I can.

Return to “Ramblings, Rants and Ravings”