Project Update: DataTiki

News and Updates for the whole network.
Jeff
Founder
Founder

Project Update: DataTiki

Postby Jeff » 2004.12.08 6:03 am

PTV as a website has kind of been abandoned since PTV as a project has been abandoned. Since I have a geeky addiction to PHP, my continuing web-based efforts, including the forum, will be united under a new name: DataTiki.

Back in June I posted to tell you all about my plans for the PTV site. The plans have changed a bit to accommodate DataTiki. Here's what's up.

Total forum integration
This project is the main one for DataTiki. I'm gutting the entire phpBB project to fit it into my own design for a web portal. I'm pretty sure this isn't illegal as long as I keep a phpBB logo up somewhere. It's a big, scary headache of a project, but it's coming along alright so far with few snags.
Once I've effectively blurred the line between phpBB and the rest of the site, I can add cool features and make nearly every element of the site customizable. It should be cool. If you've got any ideas, let me know.

Site redesign
It seems obvious that I'd redesign the site after renaming it, but here are some details:
- CSS will be everywhere and in everything. The way I have it set up, you'll be able to create your own templates with your own custom images, positioning, etc. all from CSS.
- An RSS feed is coming, which should be good news for any hosted sites.
- New sections of course. I can have a lot of freedom with this, since DataTiki doesn't do anything yet. I was thinking of adding stuff like Xbox modding tutorials and phone ringers and backgrounds for starters.
- The videos will still exist, so will the PTV site. But the videos might show up here now and then. I spent a bunch of time cross-referencing the video and bios databases, so I doubt I'll dump that project.
- Users may get webspace in the form of subdirectories if I can get the web-based control panel code right. More on this later.
- Please give ideas if you have any. This is a really open project.

Solve the hosting problem
Things are looking up. I have several solutions lined up, one of the best involving moving into a friend's dedicated server. Expect some odd downtime though during the transition.

Work in progress
If you want to see DataTiki, check out http://www.datatiki.com/
I can't guarantee it will always be up, but it should give you a good idea of where I'm going with my ideas.

That's all for now. I'll keep you up to date. Honestly, give any and all ideas you might have. I'm in a coding frenzy.
Last edited by Jeff on 2005.02.13 11:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I do what I can.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.12.10 2:19 pm

The phpBB template translation is complete. Please give me some feedback; the voices in my head have run out of original material and are now telling me old Dane Cook jokes.
I do what I can.

peteyboy
Local Legend
Local Legend

Postby peteyboy » 2004.12.10 2:56 pm

It looks sharp ole buddy.

Hüva
Local Legend
Local Legend

Postby Hüva » 2004.12.10 5:17 pm

mmm...dane cook....
My Blog: The Heather Experiment
My LiveJournal: Misery's Haven

october 6, 2005...embrace the foil; fear jeff's power

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

Postby Red » 2004.12.10 6:48 pm

Overall, A+ work yo.

'Cept, how come the forum themes don't work? I miss my coldsteel.
I'd piss Coors if I could. You believe that happy crappy?

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.12.10 7:03 pm

Cause everything is going to be used with a CSS. You'll be able to make your own :).

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.12.10 7:59 pm

I'm going to use a modified theming approach this time around. Instead of just css, you'll be able to relplace everything. So ColdSteel will look more like ColdSteel; not just different colors.
I do what I can.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.12.10 10:33 pm

Even better. I just can't wait till everything is situated on the server, then things really kick off :).

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.12.12 1:48 pm

Well, it's ready for general use. I've got all the core features installed and SuperAdmin privliges in place. I'll be adding more as I go along, but for now, enjoy the new site and forums!

Don't forget: Any problems, gripes, complaints, or suggestions should go here. I'd love some feedback, no matter how minor.
I do what I can.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.12.12 2:36 pm

After using the source code for it, I can hardly say anything bad. Anything is capable.

Return to “PMC Meeting Minutes”