Rededicated.

News and Updates for the whole network.
Jeff
Founder
Founder

Rededicated.

Postby Jeff » 2005.03.15 10:14 pm

We're moving again! Our good buddy Kaj has gotten a hold of a new, better dedicated server, and I'm FTPing the DataTiki/PTV files to the new location as we speak. Hopefully, it will be a smooth, overnight transition, with the DNS changes kicking in by tomorrow morning. Stay tuned.
I do what I can.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2005.03.16 11:37 pm

Doh! DNS issues are thwarting our best efforts. We'll be on the ppix mirror until this weekend.
I do what I can.

peteyboy
Local Legend
Local Legend

Postby peteyboy » 2005.03.16 11:50 pm

such opposition at every turn!! Darn you Network of the world!!!

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2005.03.17 12:30 am

The hell with DNS. Gotta love redirection.

It may not be the way I want it, but welcome to the new server :)
I do what I can.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2005.03.17 8:35 am

Well the dns nameserver is working now, or so far anyways. Both urls with and without the "www" were pointing to 2 different places but it seems to be running o.k. as of 7:32 this morning. I believe the unstability in the main dns url has been causing problems all across. So now that it's actually running like it's supposed to they may begin to work. I'll let you know if things get rather funny in that departement, but as of now, all appears well.

Anyways, enjoy.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2005.03.17 11:00 am

Well, I've switched the nameserver info, so hopefully, within a day, everything will be pointing properly.

This affects some hosted sites until I can setup addon domains for the datatiki account, so to visit them, just go to http://datatiki.com/_hosted/
I do what I can.

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

Postby Red » 2005.03.18 12:59 pm

HAPPY SERVER!!!!
I'd piss Coors if I could. You believe that happy crappy?

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2005.03.19 12:17 am

Now to wait till the god of php returns as I have to nag him about some forum stuff that is greek to me. /me attempts to patiently wait.

It also appears the all is well with the domain name. :)

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2005.03.19 12:22 am

Well, I'm here in spirit, but I'm on some northwoods dialup connection on a 200Mhz Pentium MMX powerhouse so my hands are a little tied.

Happy server? More like manic-depressive server. It seems to have it's ups and downs. I can't get subdomains working, and that's a big down. But then I see that I have CPanel again for my own domain, something I haven't had since November, and life is good :)

Yeah, I'll be back at school Sunday or Monday, so I'll be more useful to all then. Peace out from Vilas County, WI.
I do what I can.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2005.03.19 12:29 am

I want to get the super admin on my forums. I've decided against using subforums because in my case there not all that necessary. I don't even no where to start :x

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2005.03.19 2:20 am

Yeesh. Superadmin (which I'll eventually rename to Webmaster) privliges require more coding in more pages (and some database tweaking to boot) than the subforum mod. I could give you the DataTiki Portal code as a work in progress... I added the status icons to memberlist and viewonline, changed pagination, added today at and yesterday at, added subforums, created superadmin, and added showforum and shownews pages, and tons of other little tweaks... all without creating instructions, so even I can't seperate it. :)

Anyway, It'll run off of a normal subSilver template with a little tweaking, so you're welcome to take it as it is (and since you have root access, you can easily take it). Just don't repost or make availible the source code until I have a sane version and give credit where credit is due for stuff like subforums.

If you need some help setting up the extra database flags, let me know. It's not like it's obvious what to do. If you can wait til next week, I can make a "stripped" version for you to use.
I do what I can.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2005.03.19 2:48 am

Yeah I can wait till next week. If it's possible to get my hands on shownews and showforum (for articles, etc) along with the webmaster I would be much obliged. I also have to ask you if there is some specific tweaking that can be done to it to those showforum and shownews. I won't nag you about it till you get back, just giving you a heads up. :D

On a site note: When clicking "Home", is it supposed to log me out?

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2005.03.19 1:03 pm

kill your cookies. the domain transferring causes login issues with new and old ones.

and showforum and shownews can look like whatever you want. the glossymoai templates are just a guideline. as long as you remember where the php placeholders are, {STUFF_LIKE_THIS}, you can make it look like absolutely anything.

http://datatiki.com/shownews.php?tpl=rss

using the custom template call I made for shownews, you can do something like that above: make an RSS template, call it shownews_rss, put it in the templates directory, and you're all set.

so you can have alternate templates for news grabbing, for the last 5 posts, whatever you can think of, without creating a lot of php code.

You'll have to take the whole thing if you want the webmaster script. Like I said, it's in about 30-50 files and requires sweeping database changes. But I'll be home soon, so I'll throw a basic subSilver install together.
I do what I can.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2005.03.19 1:53 pm

Well for showforum I'm looking for something like an Index page which just shows a list of the article titles and then when clicked it brings you to a different page which gives you the entire article. Then shownews would work generally the same as datatiki but have like an image to prorate what "source" it is from (but still coming from the same forum) so it could be distinguished by category. (The images would be the same for each category and be uploaded by me [another words, they wouldn't change]). Then have them selectable by a drop down menu of some sorts in the news forums. That's the general idea anyhow.

I'd like to steel that quote thing back in the ptv forum days as well. :D

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2005.03.20 3:08 am

damn dude, that's a lot...

i really want to expand and make this whole site more versitile. and take it a lot less seriously so that i can have some fun with it. i'm just having a content malfunction.

you know, the beauty of forum templates is that they're universal. i could make it so that anyone who came to these forums from a thebadnews.net link would always get a badnews template unless they specifically overrode the function. one forum would save me a lot of trouble in coding, breate life into this derelict, boost my ego, and hopefully make life easier and better for all. since datatiki portal is a work in progress, updating it on seperate sites would make me grumpy and tired.

some of the things you suggested (like the section pictures) already has support that i'm not using in the current skins. and the dropdowns and stuff are easily codeable. i wanted to create an article section too, so why compete? it'd be cool to have a collective databse that sites like badnews, dt, and sourcegamers could pull from. you could choose which site(s) would feature the articles, and which would just link.

i've got an idea for articles actually. it's much easier than i thought before. i could just create a new topic type like i did for news. this way you can regulate the permissions and selectively choose them. the codebase is already laid out. i'm getting excited about this now :)

looks like you've got some interest at badnews which is great. that's the main reason i haven't put much work in datatiki stuff, because no one really cares but me. if i could do something that would actually affect people, i'd be much happier doing it.

wanna try? look at your rank ;) never said superadmin was limited to just one account per forum...
I do what I can.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2005.03.20 12:26 pm

Hot diggity dog. There appears to be a lot of interest floating around badnews as I am constantly nagged about being article/news/photoshop/reviews/previews writers and moderators. It makes me head spin but it's also been keeping me going. I think my issue with going all under datatiki is keeping it's individuality, a clear line in where it's seperated. Also permissions and the already building memberlist. "The Bad Forums" has had 24 members and 160 posts in a matter of 3 days. I also have already chosen who would be my admins, and moderators. If there is a way to keep that line and keep my database, then I'd be all for it.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2005.03.20 1:18 pm

yeah, i can merge DBs. i dont want to "take over" or make them datatiki forums. it'd be a shared community thing. and it'd be a good opportunity for me to try new php stuff.
I do what I can.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2005.03.20 1:23 pm

Well I suppose we could give it a shot. 8) I won't give up my smilies without a fight though!

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2005.03.20 2:22 pm

merging, baby, means giving up nothing :)
I do what I can.

Return to “PMC Meeting Minutes”