...book-to-film (and a startling revelation about Hüva)...

They said it couldn't be done. Hüva proved them wrong.

Moderator: Hüva

Hüva
Local Legend
Local Legend

...book-to-film (and a startling revelation about Hüva)...

Postby Hüva » 2004.05.19 3:48 am

i figured that i would stick this in my blog so as not to fill up a public forum with my personal opinions...that, and i'm alwayz looking for something to put in my blog...(*^_^)

go here if you dont kno what i'm talking about

as i was going to say, i really wish that someone would just stick to the book...i'm kinda like this on all book-to-film movies...i mean, what do you have to gain by cutting it up and twisting it around??...i realize that there are budget concerns...
but dont do the movie if you can't afford to do it right...that's why nearly all stephen king book-to-film attempts fail miserably...at least to the fans...and really, alot of the ideas end up pretty cheesy without his unique nack for storytelling to back them up...

i hate it when people say that they actually dislike movies that "follow too close to the book"...they say that they already read the story, why would they want to watch the same thing over again?...which i suppose is a valid point...so dont watch it...i mean, i dont see how it would be more attractive to watch a story that you enjoyed enough to be interested in the movie, be torn apart and come out completely different...
that is called "butchering" literature, ladies and gentlemen...if it was good as-is on the page, why not just maintain that on-screen?...if you want a different story, go see a different movie...

my other huge issue in this topic is the harry potter movies...if you can still read this through your tears of laughter, i admit it for all to hear (((or read))):
yes, i am a huge harry potter geek...sue me...but the movies are terrible reincarnations of what are (((in my opinion))) well-written and very entertaining stories...

anyone who even remotely follows the series realizes that the books intertwine: a detail from book one becomes a huge plot point in book three...that's one of the author's best traits...(((personally, i liken it to some of stephen king's habits, but i won't get into that...the comparison nearly got me lynched at work))))...since the literary series was not completed when the cinematic series was begun, when they "edit" the text to make a more streamlined movie, they said that they consult jk rowling as to which details need to stay in due to relevance in future movies...it kinda gives it away...not to mention that there are several scenes that i looked forward to seeing on the screen that are little more than passing references, if that...

if nothing else, harry potter is one of the few books who could get away with going straight from the text and not cutting for time...(((the second movie was 2 hr 50 min...some people find that long)))...they've got the fanbase to pull it off...some people (((not me :roll: ))) would love to sit thru a 5 hour version...but instead they cut it to pieces...

i'd also like to take this moment to say that with the exception of the gifted mr. alan rickman and a meager handful of his peers, the acting sucks

...period...
My Blog: The Heather Experiment
My LiveJournal: Misery's Haven

october 6, 2005...embrace the foil; fear jeff's power

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.05.19 8:54 am

I thought the movies were entertaining, they did follow the story closely but they put in more cinematic touches. Like most movies do.. I have a feeling the movies would be a lot better if J.K. had written the scripts.

If you think the first 2 were bad wait till the third one, that is complelely different from the book. Althought because I am a die hard fan, I will watch it. Its also supposed to be more mature then the first two movies.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.05.19 12:57 pm

Not a wizard fan.

But I'll stay on topic. Fight Club is probably one of the best adaptations I've ever seen. Certain literary devices that Chuck used in the book turned into unique cinematic devices. Certain little elements were changed, but not to the point that it would affect the story. It just kind of streamlined things for the movies' sake. The ending's a bit different, a bit more Hollywood than you'd expect from a Chuck story, but not so much that it ruins the film. And choosing the Dust Brothers to score the film was genius.

Basically, the author, screenwriter, and director all got together and took the time to find the best way to change the storytelling without changing the story. More film teams need to try that.
I do what I can.

Hüva
Local Legend
Local Legend

Postby Hüva » 2004.05.20 2:24 am

...i love fight club...but i wasnt even aware that it was a book...i'll have to go check that one out...but i agree that the director, screenwriter, and original author should work together more often...i kinda thought that would be common sense...and it would work, as long as the author sticks to their story...even the ones who are involved with the bridging media process seem too quick to compromise...

and i'll prolly go see hp3 also...simply becuz i am a fan...but i'll be grinding my teeth throughout, i'm sure...(>_<)...the one thing i miss most in the movies is peeves...they completely eliminated him...i heard that they had it cast (((Rik Mayall of "Drop Dead Fred" fame...genius...best casting in the whole series))) and filmed, but cut it out due to budgeting problems...damn...
My Blog: The Heather Experiment
My LiveJournal: Misery's Haven

october 6, 2005...embrace the foil; fear jeff's power

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.05.20 2:46 am

Hüva wrote:i love fight club...but i wasnt even aware that it was a book

Holy crap! You need to read some Chuck. I think you'd enjoy it. You too, Red, you lazy ass....

http://www.chuckpalahniuk.com/

All of his books are good.
I do what I can.

Return to “The Heather Experiment”