Car Nerds

Talk about something you found on the internet ...on the internet.
Jeff
Founder
Founder

Car Nerds

Postby Jeff » 2004.08.06 4:34 pm

This makes me so incredbily happy I could cry. I have been looking all over for a decent mobile electronics resource, and it appears I've finally found it. This site is great for anyone who messes with car wiring, and stands to save me a bunch of money when I move my remote start/keyless entry/security system from the Taurus to the Cavailer. Yay!

http://www.the12volt.com
I do what I can.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.08.12 12:33 am

Well, I just gutted the Taurus. 2 years worth of electronics work removed in less than 4 hours. Oh well.

Time to start a new project! The Cavalier will have the same security/convenience system, only this time it will be completely installed by me. Best Buy did a sloppy job of the Taurus, and left out some cool features. I should be able to start the car, pop the trunk, control the windows, lock and unlock the doors (duh) and turn on the stereo all from my remote when I'm done. This should be quite the undertaking.
I do what I can.

DoomCraft
Local Legend
Local Legend

Postby DoomCraft » 2004.08.12 2:07 am

You are a man with a great vision. Surely you must be a sexually frusterated moose.

Actually, you should bring your car to "Pimp my ride". Maybee they could install a bubble gum machine to your rear fender and a fish tank in your front lights.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.08.12 12:18 pm

If any car in the USA should ever be on that show, it's the '82 AMC Concord rusting in Petey's yard.

And the best part of messing with a car, for me, is doing it myself. I'm looking forward to this :)
I do what I can.

INFRNL
Starting From Scratch
Starting From Scratch

Postby INFRNL » 2004.08.31 2:30 am

Remote start will only work on fuel injected vehicles. Alarms can be a tricky thing...especially when they malfunction...SAVE the literature/wiring diagrams. The best and simplest way to prevent theft is a kill switch that only you know where it is, kill ignition, kill starter, kill fuel, starters are very easy to bypass..., have an extra remote,battery factory antitheft can be a bitch, you need a dedicated key, if the computer thinks there's a theft it will disable fuel and won't start for 20 minutes. If you get a new key the computer will detect a theft, then it might have to relearn your key, there are optical sensors. There are silent alarms, why stop there...GPS are in many cars. Some lenders will install a GPS to guarantee their investment is not lost. With a GPS you could know someone's route and speed if you lend it out.
What year Cavalier? They are nice little cars, the best for the money.
Preventing theft of the car is simple, what is in it is much harder to prevent as long as you have windows. Bury and hide your components. You all should know about radio-stealing codes by now but it is very likely not an issue, but people can get garage door codes this way. Think of your remote with another learning remote nearby. As far as I know a remote still cannot unlock a steering column. That is mechanical and takes a key. For wiring, avoid scotch-locks. Crimp well (using a tool shaped like: Cc sort of, not the {} tool and then shrink-wrap/silicone dielectric will last. There are wiring harness kits also so you can put in your stuff without destroying your wiring and if/when you sell the car you can return the factory radio with plug-ins.
Be carefull opening up your wiring for all an alarm functions...breaking into headlights and flashers, horn etc can cause more problems than it solves at times...I've seen car alarms/stereos hooked into the computer data link/ power. Theives will destroy a car to get shit, they will put their feet on your dash and pull/rip everything out...lived in Milwaukee.
Hide everything and don't boom your stereo as you park the car. Displaying/advertising is not always the way to go...but driving and enjoying is...good luck!!!!

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.08.31 11:37 am

Most of that I knew, some of that I didn't.

Yeah, I'm either using HD crimp connections or straight solder jobs. The cheap splice and wrap job best buy did the first time around was pitiful. Also, I'm not worried about hitting the wrong wires; the computer is on the passenger's side, and all the wires I'm cutting into are under the steering column. Plus, I have a wire guide from the12volt.com that will save me a lot of guesswork with a multimeter.

My key doesn't have the antitheft resistor, so that won't be a problem. Although, it may have the resisitor built into the key tumblers, so I'd need to bypass that in order to make remote start work.

Bypassing the vehicle antitheft should be interesting. It says it exists, but I see no evidence of it. It's something to do with the factory stereo being used as a keypad for entering a code. Hopefully, removing it won't shut anything down. The upside is I can break into the wiring for the factory keyless entry, and save on putting in relay blocks for door lock control.

It's a '98 Cavalier LS with the 2.4L. It's in great shape and has only 30,000 miles on it. I knew the only other owner; she was my grandmother. This will be a fun car to play with.

As for leaving my goodies out in the open, of course I won't. No need to attract unwanted attention. But my main thing with the kit isn't security, but conveniece. So it's not a big concern.
I do what I can.

Return to “Interweb”