Music.

Karaoke every Thursday night.
DoomCraft
Local Legend
Local Legend

Music.

Postby DoomCraft » 2004.03.20 4:50 am

It just so happens that I am bored. Ok actually I just need a break from working on flash crap.

So i'm curious as to what everyone's favorite bands are. You can do a top 10 thing if you like or a single band... but at least explain why you like them.

I will start off by throwing up my wonderful top 5 favorite bands

#1 BLACK SABBATH

My favorite band is black sabbath. I used to be heavily involved in 80's metal and when it started dying out, I needed an alternative. So I took a step back and went to the 70's. I liked the dark vibrato riffs and haunting melodic lines by frontliner Ozzy Osbourne. Many people say that sabbath and zeppelin pioneered what is now known today as "Heavy Metal". But obviously there were a multitude of bands people don't remember. Clearly sabbath was an influence for alot of bands such as, Metallica, Pantera, Tool, Audioslave, Soundgarden and hundreds of others.

This is definately a band that craves the tastes of this genre, specifically 70's shock rock. For their time they were spit on by the press, only to fuel the fire. They burned through the united states in early 1971 and were soon established as one of the greatest bands on the planet.

But these are not the reasons I love this band. I am heavily influenced by their music only because of the sound they produce. If any one of the sabbath members were removed, I would lose complete interest in any music that they continue to do. This happened in 1979 when they fired Ozzy Osbourne who went off and began a monster solo career.

If you like the sound of 70's metal, check them out. The musical age of the 70's may be dead, but entombed into their music is a raw simplistic oasis.

#2 METALLICA

I know alot of people hate them nowadays, but just so you know... I do as well. I love originality especially from music. Metallica in the early 80's carved their way through everything and defined a new genre called "speed metal". Nowadays they are sacks of horse crap, because they got in touch with their FEELINGS. I hardly have to explain why I like this band, it's just natural. Nobody can deny that early metallica changed the world of music.

#3 ALICE IN CHAINS

Alice in chains is a personal favorite of mine because I grew up listening to them. They were one of the first bands I ever listened to and also one of my first favorites. I hadn't listened to them in awhile until about 2 years ago when their singer died. Now the lead guitarist, Jerry Cantrell has a solo act and i'm getting involved with that as well.

Most of the music is just all around good. I've always liked the sound of an acoustic guitar placed on a backdrop with a raspy singer. It sounds raw and is just great to listen to. I think just about anyone could listen to these guys and come out at least complimenting their work. If you like this stuff, you should explore a few other artists such as Zakk Wylde!

#4 GODSMACK

I'm usually not impressed by newer generation bands. But I have to hand it to godsmack, they really have some good music. When they first released their debut album, I didn't really like it all that much. Radio play really kills alot of music today, but when I bought the second album I really began to take a liking.

Mixed with power riffs, tempo changes and great vocals, Godsmack took the all balls way into the musical scene. Somehow they pulled it off and their creation is sweet. Originally they were called a metal band, but these days musicians can't be stuck to one genre. About a week ago they released an acoustic studio album of old songs. A few new wonders were added for the die hard fans, but I think this band is well on it's way to the rock'n'roll hall of fame.

#5 PRIMUS

One of my middle-aged freinds actually got me into this band. I had heard them several times on the radio, but I never really liked what they did. Then I went to my first concert, which happened to be primus. I had a complete turn around and downloaded every album they ever made.

Part of my problem is, I have an incredible desire for bands that create original musical art. Slap bass isn't very appealing on cd unless you have a good sound system, but they are definately a live band. They are just incredible.

And so that concludes my list. I have a huge array of musical tastes, but I am partial to Metal/Rock because it's what I grew up with. I stuck by it through the "MC hammer is Cool" times and I stick by it now. I'm also a huge fan of techno, death metal, some rap, and classical music. I also don't like to hear someone call music of previous decades "Crap", because if you listen to music nowadays... none of it would be here if it weren't for their predecessors.

Back to my flash shit.

tennisballs
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby tennisballs » 2004.04.14 11:56 am

Mine are:
Thrid eye blind-because of the earlier kick ass stufff
Linkin park
Incubus

and there a re a lot of other groupsi really like but those are the only groups that really are always in my cd player. Third eye blinds selftitled album is really old and I still have it in my cd holder above my head in my car cause it gets listened to all the time. Gotta love that band. well maybe you guys dont but i do
You mean I dont have to drink the entire bottle of liquor to nite?I didn't know I could save it

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.04.14 12:01 pm

Hmmm.... Here goes.

1. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
2. Green Day
3. The Ataris
4. Aphex Twin
5. The Crystal Method
6. Stabbing Westward/The Dreaming
7. Muse
8. Cake
9. Foo Fighters
10. Red Hot Chili Peppers

I don't know if they're my absolute favorite groups in the world, (with the exception of Petty, which is definite) but they're the ones I listen to the most.
I do what I can.

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

Postby Red » 2004.04.14 12:16 pm

Alright, fav groups in no particular order:

Tom Petty
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Metallica
Flogging Molly
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Steve Miller
Bob Seger
Eagles
Beatles
Bob Dylan
Blues traveller

So many more, but that's most of em.
I'd piss Coors if I could. You believe that happy crappy?

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.04.14 12:16 pm

wheres BOC?! :)
I do what I can.

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

Postby Red » 2004.04.14 12:31 pm

Hehe.

Good band, yes, but they didn't have much for greatest hits.

Granted, I know more of their songs than just Don't fear the Reaper and I'm burnin for you, but some of their stuff just stinks, too.
I'd piss Coors if I could. You believe that happy crappy?

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.04.14 12:36 pm

it was a fun little group. and the red and the black and godzilla are cool.
I do what I can.

peteyboy
Local Legend
Local Legend

Postby peteyboy » 2004.04.14 12:37 pm

There are just too many bands!!! But, I will try anyway...

Air
Aphex Twin

Radiohead
Smashing Pumpkins
Murder by Death
The Mars Volta

Grateful Dead
Pink Floyd
Phish

Eric Whitacre

The Vince Guaraldi Trio
Bill Evans
Jimmy Smith

And weird al will always have a place in my heart.

tennisballs
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby tennisballs » 2004.04.14 1:31 pm

petey you're sucha smarty pants.! Smashing pumkins are great. I only have adore,which kinda makes me mad but that'sa kick ass band. there's not a lot of songs from them I dont like. Now I have to go and listen to my smashing pumpkins cd
You mean I dont have to drink the entire bottle of liquor to nite?I didn't know I could save it

shyhell
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby shyhell » 2004.04.14 5:37 pm

mmmh... music.

there's no way possible i can list my favorite 1-10...or put my music in any other sort of particular order. so i'll just list a big ol mess of my music. yay. i'll put a * [or more, if it's more than once] next to the bands that i've seen live.

a perfect circle * [* i'll be seeing them once again on friday :)]
ours **
dredg
tool
the mars volta [* i'll be seeing them on friday. yay!]
muse [* i'll be seeing them next friday. YAY!! hehe.]
radiohead
jeff buckley
30 seconds to mars
evanescence ****
system of a down
fiona apple
if there were no rewards to reap
loving embrace to see me through
this tedious path i've chosen here
i certainly would've walked away by now

i'm gonna wait it out.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.04.14 6:55 pm

Hmm...

Anything but country, most rap, polka, classical. All togather they spell

countrymostrappokaclassical, oh yea.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.04.14 7:49 pm

It's a mistake to knock classical....
I do what I can.

tennisballs
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby tennisballs » 2004.04.14 8:23 pm

yeah there's a lot of good classical stuff out there. Take it you're not gonna go around town doing laps with it cranked but there's still a lot of good classical music out there. I'm not a big fan of the happy stuff but if it has a darker sound to it then it's all good

Return to “Music”