RIAA sues more

Karaoke every Thursday night.

Are the lawsuits really going to change a damn thing?

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 8

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

RIAA sues more

Postby Red » 2004.04.29 11:57 am

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/04/28/downloading.music.ap/index.html

Everyone knows the RIAA's been suing people since last summer. Now let's hear your opinion.
I'd piss Coors if I could. You believe that happy crappy?

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

Postby Red » 2004.04.29 12:02 pm

I put no because the RIAA's going to continue suing, and trying to make examples of all these people. You have to note that they're not doing this in hopes to stop every downloader out there; that would take 20 years. It's a way of sending out a warning to everyone.

With that being said, their lawsuits are scaring people and indeed some have stopped downloading music. Or have they just stopped posting it? You can download music and not post what you have on your computer, everyone's gotta know that. The RIAA's going to keep at it, I have no doubts, but people won't change their habits. At least not on a large scale. They bitch and complain about CD sales, and meanwhile a CD, new or old, can run as much as $20. You want more sales? Start selling them at $10, or $5, and offer things like interactive menus and bonux extra's for use on your computer. Besides, sales have been up around 6-9% compared to last year in CD sales; what the fuck are they complaining about?

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.04.29 12:11 pm

This whole thing reminds me of the "war" on drugs. We sure won that, didn't we? No drugs anymore, no sirree.

It's hopeless.

CNN wrote:The latest filings brings the number of lawsuits filed by the recording industry to 2,454 since last summer. None of the cases has yet gone to trial, and 437 people so far have agreed to pay financial penalties of about $3,000 as settlements.

Let's do the math. 437 people paid, on average, $3,000 each. That's a total of $1,311,000. Now that sounds like a lot, but when you think of all of the money it takes to actually file suit against all of these people, and the money it takes to track them down via their IP addresses, spend time negotiating with them, and all of the assorted lawyers' fees in-between, they've got to be losing money.

I'm certainly not one of those idiots who thinks it's my right to download all the music I want for free, but I'm not going to buy an overpriced CD of filler just to listen to one catchy song. Give me an incentive to legally acquire music. Let me use it in my video projects without fear of royalties. Set a profit cap for that or something. Distribute music on formats that are more permanent. CDs scratch. If one of mine dies, I want to be able to get some kind of replacement cheap. (Pay attention, DVD distributors.)

The RIAA is hitting their collective head against a wall, looking straight ahead, and doing it again.

Try something else.
I do what I can.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.04.29 12:16 pm

Yeah, is file sharing really the biggest issue? That was my only way to get obscure music that wasn't released around here. If I want a new song that just came out (you know, the ones that make the recording industries money?), I'd have a better chance of getting that from a friend, directly. No Internet involved.

As for the CD copy protection? It's as big of a joke as macrovision. The worst they can make me do is copy a CD in real time. That's not so terrible of a fate. What is terrible is that the CDs don't work in half of the car cd players and PCs out there. So you're buying a product that doesn't work. Wow, the RIAA sure know how to please their customers.
I do what I can.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.04.29 12:18 pm

Here I am again, showing how CNN is stupid.

CNN wrote:The latest filings brings the number of lawsuits...

Subject-verb agreement!
It's "filings bring", moron.
I do what I can.

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

Postby Red » 2004.04.29 1:26 pm

Good call.

You're right. The RIAA will make money on peope who agreed to settle, sure. But then you throw in the money they need to handle every case. Even if it was cheap to handle each case, just look at the time they'll have to spend on them. That time alone is worth more than the money they'll make and spend on these lawsuits. They're not going to accomplish anything. Half the reason people download music is because they'd rather have a mixed CD with all their favorite songs than buy a CD which has one song they like. If it's their right to make us go to a Sam Goody and cough up $20 for a CD with 2-3 songs at most I'm going to like, then fuck their rights. It's illegal to download songs for free you don't own, sure, but look at half the artists who are aware of it. Most of them don't care; it's not hurting their income any. And a lot of them even endorse it.

DoomCraft
Local Legend
Local Legend

Postby DoomCraft » 2004.04.29 1:46 pm

Actually you know, I kind of understand why the RIAA is even bothering to spend the time and money on these lawsuits. First of all, I own cd's for about 60% of the music that I share.. so I do share illegal mp3's. I'm sure this is true with alot of us, so multiply that by the amount of people who are actively involved with sharing music. The result is... Alot. It does put quite a dent in recording sales compared to previous years before the whole napster ordeal.

Now with that said, imagine if you were a multi million dollar recording industry. Bands make most of their money doing live shows, but mp3 sharing hits the "investors" (recording company) and ultimately drops their sales. Now this may not be alot of money, but every business is going to try and protect it's sales. So if you owned this company, you would more than likely not just sit and take it. Chances are you would come up with everything and anything that could stop mp3 file sharing.

They are greedy, but I gotta admit... I would be as well in that position.

Like red said, The lawsuits cost time and money. So obviously this isn't something they plan on doing to every person that downloads their music. It is however doing a somewhat decent job with the help of the media, scaring a percentage of downloaders into either removing their shares or deleting their mp3s.

For me? I don't give a damn... it's like winning the lottery to get caught by one of these morons. But if I ever do get sued, I guess I had it coming. Someone else was just more greedy than I was... can't do much about that.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.04.29 3:34 pm

Well I understand that the goal is to scare off sharers and not just prosecute certain people. That's why the lawsuits are aimed at several students in many schools, not just every violator on one campus. But like you said, it's not working. The odds are way against you. And if you're a greedy bastard like Red or me, you just get music and don't share it.

The main problem is that they're only targeting online sharing. Look at all the other ways to do it! Local campus networks, burned CDs, hard drive swaps... I still don't think they're going to be getting the return on this lawsuit investment that they're hoping for.
I do what I can.

DoomCraft
Local Legend
Local Legend

Postby DoomCraft » 2004.04.30 3:57 am

I share over 20 gigs of music, but the funny thing is I rarely leave any program running to share it. All I ever use anymore is edonkey, mp3's got old and now i'm into sucking full games and apps to my drive.

But there is a very slim chance anyone is even gonna raise a finger against people who copy cd's and transfer over lans. I mean hell, if people on ebay can sell illegal cd's burned.... then something tells me the company's aren't doing much to stop it. It's a bomb scare.

hippo
Gaining Potential
Gaining Potential

Postby hippo » 2004.11.27 6:58 pm

Its llike simple economics. The recording Industry is too top heavy, too much upper management that needs every cent of that expensive cd. Due time will sort and thin out this industry and we'll see what's left in the dust. We're dealing with an age of 1s and 0s, things are going to change in every info industry.(understanding that sound is 0s and 1s)
on a personnel note, i think it says something about the band/producer if they only have 2 or 3 good songs on an entire album.
"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."
Albert Einstein

Return to “Music”