Muse-ical Parallel

Karaoke every Thursday night.
Jeff
Founder
Founder

Muse-ical Parallel

Postby Jeff » 2004.08.13 11:58 pm

Two of my favorite bands are Muse and Stabbing Westward. Two of my favorite songs are Muse's Hysteria and Stabbing Westward's Shame. I just saw the video for Hysteria, which you can download at Launch, and something clicked in my brain. I think the songs and their respective videos have eerily much in common. I hope Shelby sees this, 'cuz I'd like her input on it.

Either way, Muse's Hysteria is going to be getting on the radio soon, and I hope it meets with some success. I think it should, since it's such a catchy tune that doesn't involve rappng and drum machines, but hey, that's just me.

And for the Hüva followers who think Muse sold out... This isn't a dull "performance" video. It's kinda creepy, and I'd appreciate anyone's input as to exactly what's going on in it. I mean, the guy gets the girl, and then wigs out 'cuz he can't take it? The fuck?!
I do what I can.

Hüva
Local Legend
Local Legend

Postby Hüva » 2004.08.20 6:07 pm

:evil:
i have two words for muse:

...bubble wrap...
My Blog: The Heather Experiment
My LiveJournal: Misery's Haven

october 6, 2005...embrace the foil; fear jeff's power

shyhell
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby shyhell » 2004.08.27 3:45 pm

muse. rare that they do complete performance video's. they usually try to mix it up with some odd little schnibbet of a story...

this video is much like muscle museum's video. it takes the subject, and makes a fun little 4ish minute clip out of it.
but anyway. hysteria. the chorus consists mainly of 'i want you now, i want you now. give me your heart and your soul.' it's about desire, obsession, lust, or hell, maybe even love if you can call it that. the video is appropriate to the theme.
guy sees girl.
guy likes girl.
guy videotapes and spies on girl.
girl seduces guy.

[if i saw sw's shame video, jeff...i'd let you know if i noticed a comparison. ]

but this is why i like muse. their songs are fun and catchy [but not overbearingly so]. their video's aren't just some shitcakey 'live' performance with a photoshopped audience. and if it was a live performance, someone would surely get hurt before the show. watch out for those microphones's, matt.
fucking wankers. :evil:
if there were no rewards to reap
loving embrace to see me through
this tedious path i've chosen here
i certainly would've walked away by now

i'm gonna wait it out.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.08.27 5:30 pm

Check out the version on this site: http://www.microcuts.net/uk/multimedia/
(I know you got dialup, Shelby, so no rush :)
I think they didn't release it because of the content (odd, have you seen most hip-hop videos?) and it kind of changes the meaning. It's almost like the guy craves the initial mystery more than the act, or the act would never be enough.

And anyway, you've heard both songs... Isn't the meaning and structure strikingly similar?

Also:
shyhell wrote:rare that they do complete performance video's.

Bah! The reviews that claim muse is self-absorbed are most likely influenced by ther videos. They all seem to focus on the band playing--rarely is there a story at all, or if there is, it's hard to find between the performance cuts. I was just surrprised by Hysteria's vid since there was none of that at all.
I do what I can.

Hüva
Local Legend
Local Legend

Postby Hüva » 2004.09.06 1:11 pm

My Baby! wrote:their video's aren't just some shitcakey 'live' performance with a photoshopped audience. and if it was a live performance, someone would surely get hurt before the show. watch out for those microphones's, matt.
fucking wankers. :evil:

exactly
My Blog: The Heather Experiment
My LiveJournal: Misery's Haven

october 6, 2005...embrace the foil; fear jeff's power

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.11.27 8:56 pm

Back to Hysteria: I just heard a chopped up version of it on a TNT "What is Drama?" commercial. This is the second time TNT has used a Muse song in their commercials--the first was a spot for "Little Nicky" which used the riffs from "Cave". This is very cool. Someone at TNT is a Muse fan. :)
I do what I can.

Return to “Music”