XP User Permissions: One Big Joke

Celebrate your inner geek. It's probably your only chance.
Jeff
Founder
Founder

XP User Permissions: One Big Joke

Postby Jeff » 2005.03.08 10:52 am

OK, I got bored during a library tour (that I had already taken for another class last semester) so while we were in the computer lab walkthru segment, I figured I'd remote desktop and check my email, forums, etc.

Well, these computers, in a mix of XP user management and Novell somethingorother, were locked down tight. You couldn't browse the local hard drive, couldn't launch applications (the start menu was gone except an IE link in programs) and you couldn't launch local folders or run apps from IE's address bar. You couldn't effectively do anything but browse the internet.

Hah!, I say.

I noticed that for all the things you couldn't do, there were a few you could. For example, you could launch Outlook Express from the Tools > Mail and News > Read Mail menu. Also, you could browse any local directory through the File > Open dialog box. Granted, if you tried launching an app, you'd get a policy error, but you could do fun things like copy and paste. This gave me an idea.

I browsed to the system32 folder and found mstsc.exe (the app you run for Remote Desktop). I copied it to the clipboard and pasted it into Outlook Express's app folder. I then renamed msimn.exe to something like msimn.bak. I copied the text "msimn.exe" to the clipboard, waited until Windows File Protection kicked in and recreated the original Outlook Express app, deleted it, and quickly renamed my copy of mstsc.exe to msimn.exe.

After that, all I had to do was tell IE to "Read Mail" and I was up and running on my own PC.

So, yeah. If you're bored for a class, or just stuck in Polk Library or somewhere else with permission-heavy XP machines, here's at least one way to make them a little better.
I do what I can.

9MAN
Gaining Potential
Gaining Potential

Postby 9MAN » 2005.03.08 12:39 pm

that is freaking hilarious. This school is kinda a joke in that respect too. I will share my example. I am a declared CS major, and with that you get access to the CS lab on the second floor in our science building (Halsey), well that runs off of Novell - the same as the rest of the campus - but they let a student set up the network and he is a good guy so a few of us suggested to him, give us admin capabilities for the WHOLE network by "ACCIDENT" because if you enrolled in a class that uses the lab you are automatically given admin privledges for THAT LAB, but he wanted to make the "mistake" by giving it to us for the whole network. It took them 2 semesters to figure it out. LOL Ooops GO MIO!!!! douche bags
>>God created a few perfect people. All the rest are right-handed.
>>Sex is hereditary. If your parents never had it, chances are you won't either.
>>As long as there are tests, there will be prayer in public schools.
>>82.8% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2005.03.08 4:49 pm

I'd also like to publically thank the MIO for ignoring my router. My Xbox is very happy it can get onlne.
I do what I can.

Return to “Nerd Council”