Linux vs Windows

Celebrate your inner geek. It's probably your only chance.

Which one?

Windows
71%
Linux
29%

Total votes: 7

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.05.05 9:44 am

I doubt really that Linux will make it very far, it basically looks like only the monsters will go far (Microsoft, Intel). With the announcement of p5 and elements you can kind of tell where everything is going.

nrunge
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby nrunge » 2004.07.27 3:31 pm

I doubt really that Linux will make it very far, it basically looks like only the monsters will go far (Microsoft, Intel). With the announcement of p5 and elements you can kind of tell where everything is going.

I am sorry but I have to jump on this. Ill make a quick list of "how far Linux is"

1. SunMicro (a monster in their own respect) has created a Java based Linux OS.
2. Novell (another monster) has purchased Suse Linux
3. Google, Ebay and Amazon.com all run on Linux systems
4. IBM, DELL, HP/Compaq, Sun (more monsters) all offer Linux solutions which tend to out perform and cost less than equivalent Microsoft solutions.
5. The SCO vs Linux lawsuit was partially backed by Microsoft who has spent millions on anti-linux campaigns. If Linux were not a potential threat to their business structure then why would they spend so much time on it.
6. The fact that you even know what Linux is says alot. The first "mainstream" Linux distro was Slackware in 1993. Without any actual advertising campaign and actual paid programmers Linux has accomplished mainstream recognition in a little over 10 years.
7. Microsoft was working on a version of Linux called MSLinux, but supposedly pulled the plug becuase of its superiority and their inability to "purchase" it.

I also dont see what Intel has to do with any of this? AMD and Intel have both x86 and x86_64 architectures that are supported by Windows and Linux. Intel has core Linux engineers that work with software vendors to produce solutions. They are in no way Microsoft fans. In fact since Microsoft pushed OS2 out of the market and also stopped production on an Intel OS Intel/IBM has been a tad salty about dealing with MS.

In order to play windows programs on a pure Linux machine you need to be a super nerd.

Crossover Office is a GUI based programs where all you do is insert the CD and tell it to install the software. It currently supports.

[102 votes] iTunes
[76 votes] Lotus Notes 6.5.1+
[56 votes] Quicken 2004
[39 votes] Dreamweaver MX 2004
[31 votes] Project 2003
[26 votes] Photoshop CS
[23 votes] Visio 2003
[23 votes] Dreamweaver MX
[22 votes] Nero Burning Rom 6
[21 votes] Acrobat 6.0
[21 votes] DirectX
[21 votes] Endnote 7.0
[19 votes] TurboTax
[19 votes] Paint Shop Pro 8
[17 votes] CorelDRAW 10
[16 votes] Skype
[16 votes] Palm Desktop 4.1
[15 votes] Windows Media Player 9 series
[15 votes] AutoCAD 2004
[14 votes] Scientific Word 4.10
[13 votes] Xara X
[13 votes] Money 2004
[13 votes] QuickBooks Pro
[13 votes] Outlook 2000
[12 votes] Activesync 7.1

And many more.

If you are into gaming then Transgaming makes a program called Cedega. Cedega has a GUI called point to play which is as simple as running the GUI then pointing it to the source for the install or simply typing "cedega 'name_of_game.exe' " Cedega currently supports such popular titles as:
FarCry
Warcraft III
Everquest
HalfLife (w/counterstrike)
Battlefield 1942
Medal of Honor Games
and the list goes on....

Other good reasons that I personally use Linux are no Virus's, no need to pirate software and break the law, no spyware/adware/malware, hundreds of days of uptime, and getting to play with cutting edge technology. For example WinXP_64 is still in beta and performs poorly (as most betas do), on the other hand Debian_64 has 98% of its packages ported over to x86_64 as well as the Linux Kernel itself. People who purchased 64 bit chips cannot utilize the power of them on their current OS's unless they run Linux. It is my personal belief that we are nearing the end of days when raw clock cycles are going to meet the needs of people who are doing things other than sound/video/cgi editing. Instead of expanding vertically there must be an expansion horizontally which would include new instruction sets and core cpu architecture changes. These robust processor expansions need to be utilized properly to exploit their potential. Simply speaking Windows isnt keeping up with current trends.

I would like to end this Linux advocacy by saying that in deed Windows has a place. I use it at work and in certain business aspects (Active Directory is pretty fucking cool) and there are many good things about it. I am in no way anti-microsoft. The fact is that Linux is superior for many things that the general public is just not aware of and many of the reasons that people refuse to use it are simply not true.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.07.27 4:22 pm

I just wanted to stay out of this because I was too lazy to form any sort of arguement. The only real thing working against it is the same thing that makes it great. There are myriad flavors of Linux. You can't expect the average home/work computer user to be able to learn a new operating system when they need to attend seminars to unlock the "secrets" of PowerPoint (you know, like the file save ablility?)

I don't see why most companies using terminal-based software couldn't make the swtich though. It'd be nice to see DOS finally rest in peace.
I do what I can.

nrunge
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby nrunge » 2004.07.27 7:55 pm

There are alot of different "flavors" of Linux and even two major desktop environments (KDE and Gnome) which in the beginning was confusing for me as well. And to a degree standards are a good thing. As a Telecommunications student I would be lost without RFC's the ITU or the FCC. The problem is that the thing that makes Linux so great is the fact that there are so many choices. For the most part though if you did a base install of RedHat/Suse/Mandrake with KDE people would become proficient accross the board. KDE is KDE on any system that you run it. OpenOffice is OpenOffice and Konqueror functions much like IE as a file manager/web browser with Firebird as a noteworthy browser replacement. The vast majority of the people just learn the wrong way. Instead of learning the logic behind how any given system functions in general they tend to learn things by memorizing the actions to utilize the system. This is why people have a problem even jumping to a new version of Windows. In stead of them knowing what "My Computer" does and just clicking around a bit to get to it, they freak out because it isnt on the desktop anymore. There is just this stigma of computers that hinders a person from learning how they work. When I get in a new car do I freak out because the shifter is on the floor instead of attached to the steering column? No I understand that every car has a shifter (as well as all the other basic functions such as blinkers etc) and all I have to do is look around a bit to use it. That is applying the logic of how an automobile works compared to memorizing how a particular model works. I see no reason why people can't apply this towords computing systems.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.07.27 9:12 pm

Whether you see it or not, it's there. I understand what you're saying, but like you said, there's the stigma: people freeze up when they can't figure something out. Until there's some sort of standard walkthru that the average person could understand, (tell my mom you would be " lost without RFC's the ITU or the FCC" and watch her head explode) you won't see much public personal Linux use.
I do what I can.

nrunge
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby nrunge » 2004.07.28 1:36 am

Most mothers can't understand the current documentation for Windows. You could give most people a video tape of exactly what to click on and somehow they would still get confused. Its funny however the things that end lusers remember. Whether I was working for Fidelity.com, Powercom, Best Buy or Modern Business Technologies one thing was true across the board. It went something like this.

ME: "Hello sir/maam, how can I help you?"
End Luser: "My computer locks up."
ME: "What version of Windows are you running?"
End Luser: "AOL 6.0"

foreword to next call

ME: "Hello sir/maam, how can I help you?"
End Luser: "I need help with my printer, I have a Lexmark series V 8653x6789309g-dogg."
ME: "........."

I still couldn't tell you what kind of printer I have, and its in the other room.

And yes people call both their ISP's and stock trading web site support for help with their printers, I shit you not. To go even further they usually leave angry and baffled when you can't help them.

Just for shits here are some other little ditties from the good 'ol days of Tech Support.
Me: "Thanks for calling Powercom Technical Support, my name is Nate, how can I help you."
Luser: "Umm...I get error....can't connect to internet explorer"
Me: "Sir are you at your desktop."
Luser: "Yes"
Me: "What do you see."
Luser: "Pens, Pencils, and some notepads."
Me: "......." (hit mute) "fucking cocksucker motherfucker!" (un-mute) "ok sir, would you mind waiting on hold a sec?"
Luser: "Not at all"
Me: (park call, go outside, smoke two cigarettes, take call back into queue) "Still there sir?"
Luser: "Yes"
Me: Well...(fake little laugh) first of all your desktop is...."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me: "Good evening and welcome to Fidelity Electronic Channel Support, my name is Nate how can I help you"
Luser: "Nick is it?"
Me: "No its nate sir."
Luser: "Nat?"
Me: "NATE"
Luser: "Nick?"
Me: "Yup, thats it."
Luser: "my password doesn't work"
Me: (verify user info) "Ok your password is (with me specifying capitol letters) P-h-I-d3"
Luser: "still doesnt work"
Me: (test and it works) "what exactly did you type sir?"
Luser: (typed exactly) "capitol p-h-capitol I-three"
Me: (mute quickly) "you fuckjack, hows about I transfer $10,000 from this account into my personal savings...and by the way what company did you embezel this money from?"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me: "Best Buy Computer Services department, this is Nate, how can I help you?"
Luser: "My computer doesn't turn on, I think I have a virus"
Me: (thank god I don't have to deal with this) "Please bring it in and Ill take a look at it."
(hours later)
Luser: "Well here it is"
Me: (after close examination I notice that the backplane is missing from the computer, even further investigation shows that there is only remains of what used to be a VGA port on the back of the PC) "Miss, it appears that 'SOMEONE' has pulled the VGA cable from the back of the computer....and with it most of the the VGA port"
Luser: (utter look of confusion)
Me: (grab VGA cable from monitor and toss a test PC up on the bench) "See HERE is a VGA cable and HERE is what the VGA port is supposed to look like, we are not equipped with the proper parts nor the soldering station that would be needed to repair this part"
Luser: "Ok, but what about that Virus?"
Me: "We cant tell if you have a virus because we cannot turn on your computer because it has been damaged"
Luser: "Well can't you fix it?"
Me: "As I just explained to you...NO"
Luser: "Well isnt that kind of damage covered by my warranty"
Me: (well...no, but I am firm believer that your medical insurance should cover stupidity therapy) "Excuse me" (aside, sweating, brain beginning to hemmorage) "Hey Rob can you explain the limits of this customers warranty to her? I am going to take my lunch now"
Rob: "Dude, you have only been here 20 minutes"
Me: "You will soon understand"

See how transparent my anger was to the customers? This happens ALL THE TIME. If most people only knew.
Last edited by nrunge on 2004.07.28 2:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.07.28 1:45 am

As someone who actually worked tech support, how many calls did you get where people couldn't find their start menu, or couldn't get it back where it belonged? Until XP mercifully locked the taskbar, this was probably my most common call.
I do what I can.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.07.28 1:49 am

nrunge wrote:Microsoft was working on a version of Linux called MSLinux, but supposedly pulled the plug becuase of its superiority and their inability to "purchase" it.

I didn't really read your post all the way through the first time around. That made me laugh. :)

nrunge wrote:Miss, it appears that 'SOMEONE' has pulled the VGA cable from the back of the computer....and with it most of the the VGA port

I wonder if her husband was a drunk. It seems to me that would have taken a fair amount of force.
I do what I can.

nrunge
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby nrunge » 2004.07.28 3:14 am

It seems to me that would have taken a fair amount of force.

No I think they just used hardened paper cases painted like metal for Emachines, they dont want the kids in Malaysian sweat shops cutting themselves on unfinished edges :]

Return to “Nerd Council”