XP SP2

Celebrate your inner geek. It's probably your only chance.
Jeff
Founder
Founder

XP SP2

Postby Jeff » 2004.08.09 6:33 pm

Holy shit! This is a MS upgrade that actually has useful features!!!

I couldn't believe it myself. But here are some of the things you can expect from SP2:
- IE Popup Blocker (taking hints, finally?)
- IE Add-on Manager (Thank GOD! No more sneaky adware!)
- Myriad Internet Security Enhancements
- Media Player 9 and DirectX 9 inclusion (saves me some setup time)
- Improved Firewall App
- Update Manager (supposedly much better than the mysterious little tray icon)

Here's what gets me. In recent press releases, MS has louded IE as a "finished product" with no plans to upgrade it further. That sucks, since they need to get in line with W3C HTML/CSS standards. So here they go and break their own little rule and upgrade IE, which isn't neccisarily bad, but I'll bet they never address the coding standards. Oh well, it's not like I'm going to switch back from FireFox anytime soon. It just sucks that I have to keep IE limits in mind when designing sites.

Anyway, I'm really damn excited about this Add-on manager thing. That's my worse grievance against IE, and the main reason I switched to FireFox. Evil Shit gets absorbed into IE and there's no way to ever get it out. I can't wait for this...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... nager.mspx

Well, SP2 isn't even out yet, but I'd thought I'd give a heads up. For those of you who don't know, OS service packs are cumulative. Every thing in SP1 is in SP2, so there's no need to install both on a virgin setup. And as soon as SP2 is availible for download, I'll post the offilne setup link. Burn that file to a CD and keep it, kids. Anytime you need to run a new XP install, make that the first thing you do after running the basic OS setup.

YAY FOR THE FUCKING ADDON MANAGER!!!
I do what I can.

nrunge
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby nrunge » 2004.08.09 11:24 pm

A bunch of IE developers are strongly pushing for IE 7 and have started a project that I read about on Channel 9.
"...I always tell my friends that if its in the news we dont have to worry about it because it rarely ever happens, thats what makes it news. Its when something is not in the news anymore that we have to start to worry" - Philip Greenspun

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.08.10 7:15 pm

Don't tell me whether or not to complain, fuckstick.

I've been running SP2 all day thanks to this link and have had no problems. And I wasn't required to register.

the lesser nate wrote:...will make you have to do outragous things such as FORCE you to register your copy...

If you're talking about registering the key, that's something every single license owner has to do anyway. If you've got a name brand PC, it's part of the initial setup process.
Volume license is volume license. I will not now or ever have to register this software key. That's kind of the point of VL software.
If you're saying you have to register personal info, that's still something only single license users would have to do, and I find it highly unlikely.
When I still had a single license XP install, and I got SP1, it made me re-register my key. The reason behind that is simple: MS updates their product key blacklist all the time, but I think having your machine check it's key against the blacklist is against some privacy policy (I could be wrong). Either way, adding a service pack is a legit way to have to double-check the key. And this keeps would-be software pirates from having the latest version of Windows.
Once again, volume license keys are unaffected, and having to re-register a legit key is nothing new or serious.
I do what I can.

nrunge
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby nrunge » 2004.08.11 3:20 am

Service Packs for Microsof products are always a good thing. SP2 actually is one of the best non server service packs to be released, So good in fact that I can't believe that Microsoft didnt either charge for it or try to create a new version of Windows from it. They went to the point where their security measures will actually break some machines. While this is not the best thing for a given corporation the "I dont give a fuck" security model is the only way that Microsoft can start to make thier products exist in large infrastructures...which actually makes it the best for corporations! The reason that I only apply the logistics o the release to corporate infrastructure is that to be perfectly honest Microsoft couldn't give two shits about average consumers. They make most of thier ching from volume licsenses. Anyway there is no great reason to not use SP2.

P.S.
Mandrake Linux is a bubble-bum distro. If you want to learn how to use Linux follow my advice. Or I guess you could keep using software packages that are 2-3 months old. I prefer to use software that is 2 hours old. I have been way to nice before....bottom line. People who use Mandrake/RedHat/Suse are just people who like to get their feet wet without actually jumping in the water...shit you might as well run Knoppix as your main OS if you are that afraid of wetting your pants over a real distro that actually embraces what *nix is all about.
"...I always tell my friends that if its in the news we dont have to worry about it because it rarely ever happens, thats what makes it news. Its when something is not in the news anymore that we have to start to worry" - Philip Greenspun

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.08.11 7:28 am

nrunge wrote:So good in fact that I can't believe that Microsoft didnt either charge for it or try to create a new version of Windows from it.

Exactly. With all of the features included, it's surprising that it's coming from MS. Generally, their service packs just include tons of bug fixes and minor secuirty packages. This one has a secuity suite and much needed IE tools.
I do what I can.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.08.11 12:46 pm

nrunge wrote:P.S.
Mandrake Linux is a bubble-bum distro. If you want to learn how to use Linux follow my advice. Or I guess you could keep using software packages that are 2-3 months old. I prefer to use software that is 2 hours old. I have been way to nice before....bottom line. People who use Mandrake/RedHat/Suse are just people who like to get their feet wet without actually jumping in the water...shit you might as well run Knoppix as your main OS if you are that afraid of wetting your pants over a real distro that actually embraces what *nix is all about.

nrunge wrote:Distro's like Mandrake,Suse and Redhat are great. They make it easy to get a useable Linux box up and running and do a great job at detecting hardware.

It sounds like you have mixed feelings there. I do enjoy a good GUI based OS just because I do and will enjoy desktop modding with linux. ( especially making it look like a mac :) ) I am just researching Linux now as it is so I am not very "enlightened" in that area but hope to be. My Frankenstein computer will be Linux based so I need to learn up on it as much as I can.
I noticed something too, all topics start out with the topic it was meant for and ends up with Linux of lately. :]
------
As of SP2, I will be getting it to see what it is all about first hand but I don't think anything will pull me away from FireFox now. Its to versatile to be let over thrown.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.08.11 1:17 pm

Well, I'm not about to switch back to IE either. But getting people like my mom to switch to a different browser would be more trouble than it's worth. I'm glad I can manage this easier, since it'll save me a lot of trouble and time on client machines.
I do what I can.

nrunge
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby nrunge » 2004.08.12 1:59 am

I had also said that I was being too nice in the past. Initially I dont want to scare anyone away from Linux, and I did point out what Redhat/Makdrake/Suse are good at. This does not necessarily make it unreasonable to later point out thier faults. But since this is "Tech and Games" I am assuming that people who post here are interested and passionate about technology. I tried those distro's out earlier out and realized that what made them "easy" to use was holding me back. Dont get me wrong, I just put up a Redhat box after putting together some spare parts, it is somewhat of an industry standard and there are certifications for it. Now while I believe that most certifications are bullshit manager types love them. But I stray from the point. Learn your way up from the bottom. Learn from the ground up. Learn what deep down makes distro's like Mandrake work so well in some ways and perform poorly in others. When you know that you begin to understand how to optimize your OS in the most efficient means possible because customization is endless, the malleability of Linux is what makes it so fucking superb. I have to admit that I do tend to go a bit overboard but you have to understand that I am looking at this from a career perspective, godwilling a fairly profitable one. Maybe most people out thier just wan't to toy around with a Linux box, but for the Linux community its the experimental pure OS's that generate most of the software, bug fixes and kernel patches, without that Linux will not continue to exist as it does. Monopolization of the OS market would be the worst thing that could ever happen to the software industry, I don't care what camp you come from, I wouldn't even want to imagine a world where there is only Linux.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.08.12 12:24 pm

nrunge wrote:Monopolization of the OS market would be the worst thing that could ever happen to the software industry, I don't care what camp you come from, I wouldn't even want to imagine a world where there is only Linux.

I think most people take for granted the fact that they actually use different OS's all the time. My phone has some Java based OS... ATMs run some -nix flavor, don't they?

Still, the prevalence of Microsoft Windows in personal computers makes it seem to the average consumer that that OS is simply all there is, as if it were something as static and uniform as a qwerty keyboard. And therein lies the problem; people are so used to only seeing windows, that the concept of a different OS that is infinately customizable in its interface and functionality scares the hell out of them. MS has babied everyone by making them expect certain things from a PC.
I do what I can.

nrunge
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby nrunge » 2004.08.12 12:31 pm

ATMs run some -nix flavor
Yes and some of them run OS2.

I don't really care about market share all that much as far as that statement is concerned, just the fact that there are alternatives keeps R&D churning and costs down.

Return to “Nerd Council”