Jeff and Red! Good news about Debian.

Celebrate your inner geek. It's probably your only chance.
nrunge
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Jeff and Red! Good news about Debian.

Postby nrunge » 2004.08.15 1:49 am

Some people realized that Woody's installer is a bit old, so they made Hilux, an updated installer for Woody. I didnt look at it much so I dont know if it works with the Network installers, but that doesnt matter. Woody is a nice stable version of Linux that now has an installer which will better detect new hardware. Check it out.

http://oss-us.sns.ro/Hilux.html
"...I always tell my friends that if its in the news we dont have to worry about it because it rarely ever happens, thats what makes it news. Its when something is not in the news anymore that we have to start to worry" - Philip Greenspun

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.08.18 1:08 pm

that is good news. I'd like to give it a shot again sometime, but I'll probably wait til I'm back on campus.
I do what I can.

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

Postby Red » 2004.08.18 2:28 pm

Ditto. I'm not bothering with Linux until I have my two computers at Stout to mess with. Plus, I'll wait for Nate's guidance. :]
I'd piss Coors if I could. You believe that happy crappy?

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

Postby Red » 2004.09.10 10:46 am

I'm downloading Hilux right now. I might actually partition my hard drive again and give it a shot this weekend.

nrunge
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby nrunge » 2004.09.14 9:27 pm

Cool. let me know if you have any problems. On a side note I really enjoy playing around with windows again. It was nice to take a break and force myself to exist as Linux only. Its really nice to have diversity.
"...I always tell my friends that if its in the news we dont have to worry about it because it rarely ever happens, thats what makes it news. Its when something is not in the news anymore that we have to start to worry" - Philip Greenspun

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.09.20 10:04 pm

Nate, help. I'm stupid.

I'd be looking into this and reading up, but I don't have time. I can get the Debian install to connect to the internet for fun extra features. But the UI for that install system is, n my opinion, nothing short of stupid. I'm not really sure what I want in there, but I always end up creating a conflict, and I can't figure out how in the hell to get back to the root menu. Also, is a GUI somewhere in that list, and can I configure it to load up right?

I've got two old test PCs for this, and I'm getting fed up and thinking of Mandrake or Redhat, just so I can finally get in to play around. But I'm holding out for Debian, so any help would be appreciated.

I should note that I was comfortably inebriated on Smirnoffs and Hard Lime when I was going through that packages list, so that could be why I was frustrated.
I do what I can.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.09.27 12:17 am

Bah. Red's recent attempts made me try too. Well, nothin' doin. X crashed because of my USB mouse. Odd, since Debian recognized it as being there. Whatever. I'm running Mandrake now; and what's this shit about registering to get updates? I thought this was a free distro...
I do what I can.

nrunge
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby nrunge » 2004.09.27 6:31 pm

To get X up and running a little googling around is all I can tell you because I dont have the specifics of your problem. Also Linuxquestions.org is a great place to post problems.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.09.27 6:36 pm

I checked a lot of supposed Debian X remedies for USB mice, but nothing seemed to help. I suppose I'll have to start actively soliciting assistance.
I do what I can.

nrunge
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby nrunge » 2004.09.27 6:48 pm

I had some problems with my mouse as well. For starters what kernel are you running? I would reccomend using the newest 2.6 kernel if you are not. Other than that I had some problems with my USB mouse. I had to play around with what I compiled into the kernel and what I chose to be modules. It shouldnt matter but for some reason it does.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.09.27 8:51 pm

well this is straight from the hilux installer, so what is that, 2.4? i'm not sure how to update the kernel from the command line.

i didnt have to choose any extra driver packages at the install, since it shows up when i poll usb. i was told to map it as /dev/psaux, so i did that, but when x fails after i try startx after i reconfig, it says it had a problem finding a mouse on /dev/input/mouse. so i dont know why its not reflecting the change.
I do what I can.

nrunge
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby nrunge » 2004.09.28 5:26 pm

Yeah that would be 2.4.x. I dont know about mapping it to other devices. My mouse is just automatically detected and works without any of that shit. You can download the newest kernel from kernel.org with a text based web browser like lynx or links. Then to re-compile your kernel just:

1. download the kernel to /usr/src and untar it
2. run apt-get install ncurses to make sure you have that software
3. cd to the source directory (ex. /usr/src/Linux-2.6.7)
4. type 'make menuconfig' and go through the config options, post any questions you have about what to include/exclude.
5. after you are finished running that type 'make-kpkg binary'
6. wait while your kernel is compiled into a .deb then cd to /usr/src and run dpkg -i 'name of kernel deb package'
7. also run dpkg -i on the kernel-image and kernel-headers debian packages

this should make all of your lilo entries as well. For further clarification refer to
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

nrunge
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby nrunge » 2004.10.15 1:24 pm

This looks to be a promising article on installing Debian.
http://www.bio-informatics.nl/debinstall1.php

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

Postby Red » 2004.10.19 11:30 pm

Well, got Linux installed. KDE works fine and dandy.

The solution?

I gave in and downloaded Mandrake. Installed and running in 10 minutes. Sorry Debian. I guess my skills ain't good enough yet. :P

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.10.19 11:36 pm

muahaha! my mandrake machine works flawlessly.

but can yours update without you paying some fee?
I do what I can.

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

Postby Red » 2004.10.19 11:50 pm

I'll have to look into that.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2005.01.05 1:49 pm

I've had some Debian failures, but Xebian is running on my Xbox swimmingly.
I do what I can.

Return to “Nerd Council”