Runge Request

Celebrate your inner geek. It's probably your only chance.
Jeff
Founder
Founder

Runge Request

Postby Jeff » 2004.09.29 10:57 am

Ok, so I could probably find something like this online, but I'm kinda lazy. Nate, could you make up a short list of common and useful Linux console commands and modifiers? It'd help a lot, since when I'm actually playing around with that, I don't have easy access to a working comp with internet access (my roommate's is usually locked). This would be much appreciated, and most likely thanked with oral sex.
I do what I can.

nrunge
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby nrunge » 2004.09.29 7:21 pm

Sure. I will list the most common ones that I use.

Touch: creates a file
Man 'name of program': will load the manual page if there is one
ls: list contents
ps: list processes. Use preferably ps -ax, you can then pipe it through grep to look for particular strings. Ex. ps -ax | grep konqeror
top: lists top processes and what resources they are using
cat: dumps contents to terminal
nice: nice will set the programs priority when multiple strings are being sent to the stack
dselect: for package management
vim or emacs: the two leading terminal text editors
kill -9 'process number': use the ps -ax command to find the process number and kill -9 to instantly terminate the process
mount: use to mount drives, network shares, etc
whoami: lists current user
echo $PWD: $PWD is a global variable that keeps track of your present working directory, echo of course outputs to the terminal

get to know how to set and use global variables by utilzing the export command. For example I always issue ls -l instead of ls so I set a global variable that ls or even dir for that matter issue the ls -l command.

./: runs a script or program that wont execute just by typing the program name.

chmod 0775 'filename': gives all out access for any use to have full permissions for that file. Do some research on the the different access bits are set on a file because you wont always want full read, write and execute permissions to go out to all the groups.

rm: remove file
rmdir: remove empty directory
cp: copy
mv: move
smbmount: used specifically for mounting windows shares, its the same as using the mount command with specifying smb filesystem but makes it a little more elegant.
passwd: change current users password

thats all I can think of right now that I use most of the time. If you want to do something specific just let me know. Im sure it can be done. Hell if you want to listen to your kernel just pipe the output to your audio device file.
"...I always tell my friends that if its in the news we dont have to worry about it because it rarely ever happens, thats what makes it news. Its when something is not in the news anymore that we have to start to worry" - Philip Greenspun

Return to “Nerd Council”