VCD's

Celebrate your inner geek. It's probably your only chance.
Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

VCD's

Postby Red » 2004.10.19 9:23 am

This is directed at Jeff or Nate or anyone with movie editing skills.

I want to make VCD's. Some file sizes are too large. I need to split my movies so they'll fit on more than one CD. I want something as easy and painless as possible. What program should I look for?
I'd piss Coors if I could. You believe that happy crappy?

peteyboy
Local Legend
Local Legend

Postby peteyboy » 2004.10.19 9:30 am

I'm assuming you tried Nero.... I don't generally make VCDs therefore I don't generally need to split up movie files. But, Any good DVD authoring program should also work for VCD and it should have all the nessecary tools for playing with the vid files. The DVD program I use is Sonic Foundry's DVD Architect (now owned by sony). I'm not sure if that helps, but that's all I got.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.10.19 12:27 pm

I guess it all depends on what your goal is. Filesize? (do you just want to shrink them?) Portability? (is that the only reason you want them to split?) Quality? (do you care what they look like?) And, really, what is this for; just the movies you download?

VCD, and even SVCD, isn't the best format in the world. Your best bet is DiVX, but have fun. :P There are about 5,000 different ways to encode DiVX and only about 4 of them are right. A last resort could be making WMVs. The filesize is nice and low, but the quality can be a bit lacking, and I'm not sure there are third-party WMV readers out there.

So yeah, it depends on what you want.
I do what I can.

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

Postby Red » 2004.10.19 12:31 pm

I want to keep the file quality and just be able to split the file itself. I don't want to change anything about the file other than splitting it. I know VCD isnt the best quality...equal to VHS, basically. I just want to be able to watch movies on something other than my computer.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.10.19 12:56 pm

Heh, you're probably best off getting a cheap TV out adaptor for your PC. Otherwise, try what Petey said. VCD is the easiest, but ugliest, choice.
I do what I can.

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

Postby Red » 2004.10.19 5:28 pm

Holy shit, that program confuses me.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.10.19 7:04 pm

Which one, Nero? Or did you get a standalone app?
I do what I can.

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

Postby Red » 2004.10.19 7:11 pm

Nero? Nero's cake.

I meant DVD Architect. I can't even figure out how to split my movies. Damn. Such an easy concept...yet so hard to do. At least for me.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.10.19 7:22 pm

Hmm... There's other stuff out there.. I used to have a simple, freeware app that would make VCDs in all sorts of qualities (no menu authoring though, you'd have to do that later), and, while I don't know if it split the files, all you have to do is convert the file format, then tell Nero to make the VCD out of that. I think it will split it automatically if you tell it to.
I do what I can.

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

Postby Red » 2004.10.19 7:29 pm

I tried Nero. Nero converts the file automatically into a VCD. When I try to burn a file that's more than 700 mb, it just says to insert a larger disk. You'd think it could split them up...but apparently not.

nrunge
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby nrunge » 2004.10.19 7:31 pm

DVD X copy will do it. Its cake to use and splits everything automatically. I would however suggest buying a DVD burner. I copy dual layer media to a single disc and have tested them on everything from a 19 inch Sony TV to a 62 inch Toshiba DLP projection TV (yeah I get to play around with some cool stuff at work) and have never noticed a difference. Single Layer DVD-R's are cheap, single layer burners are cheap, although you might as well buy one that does dual layer becuase eventually that media will become affordable as well.
"...I always tell my friends that if its in the news we dont have to worry about it because it rarely ever happens, thats what makes it news. Its when something is not in the news anymore that we have to start to worry" - Philip Greenspun

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.10.19 7:33 pm

*ahem*

http://www.nero.com/us/FAQs_VCD_SVCD.html#5

If you have Nero 6.x and download whatever Nero Vision is, I guess you can do it with ease.
I do what I can.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.10.19 7:36 pm

Nate, I think he's talking about downloaded MPEGs and DiVX files... Plus, he's cheap. But yeah, X Copy rocks.. I've never noticed a difference between the dual layer original and single layer copy, and +R media works in almost everything, including PS2s.
I do what I can.

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

Postby Red » 2004.10.19 7:37 pm

Damn.

Well, I toiled away and figured it out.

I forgot VCD ain't even VHS quality. FUCK!

Game plan: next time I go to Mayville, swap my burner for my mom's dvd burner.

Return to “Nerd Council”