Diablo 3

The enemy's gate is down.
Jordan
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Re: Diablo 3

Postby Jordan » 2012.05.23 12:12 pm

The greenhead sounds like a damn fine idea, damn fine.
You should never throw a bong kid.

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

Postby Red » 2012.05.23 12:16 pm

We'll be out there starting late Friday. Me n the wife and the boys and some of the parents. And plenty of beer.
I'd piss Coors if I could. You believe that happy crappy?

Jordan
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby Jordan » 2012.05.25 12:08 am

Wonderful, I work till 10 I'm assuming I'll need a shower and what not. Is everyone just setting up tents?

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

Postby Red » 2012.05.25 6:47 am

The folks that plan to sleep over, yes. My parents will have the camper out there but all the parents will be in it, at least for the first night. Past that point there should be space available.

We're tenting it the first night but my tent's already full. If you can rough it the first night you'll have a place to sleep for the rest of the weekend.

Jordan
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby Jordan » 2012.05.28 11:18 am

How was it red, im sure I missed out. I had a bunch of shit to do around the house and the wife wouldn't let me off the hook.

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

Postby Red » 2012.05.29 4:54 am

Meh, it happens. It was a good time. There's always next year.

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

Postby Red » 2012.05.29 5:51 pm

Getting back on topic here, I've had enough time to level up my Barbarian to about 30, and a secondary char (Witch Doctor) to 10.

Aside from the unpredictable server crashes/glitches and weekly 8 hour maintenance the game itself is great. It's Diablo as Diablo should be. It ain't perfect, but then again neither was Diablo 1 or 2. It's hard to be critical of a game series that kept me entertained as a kid, and now, an adult. For its flaws they did something right if it can keep someone's attention for that many years.

They could have done a lot differently, mostly having to do with the launch of the game. I think that really took away from the game itself. Gamers waited over 10 years for it to come out and it was marred with issues not directly related to the game. That's going to leave a bad taste in Diablo fan's mouths for awhile. When that blows over the reviews will catch up with the game and the faithful fans will remember what they came back for, which is basic hack and slash action. Not everyone's going to be happy but as a whole I believe the Diablo community will still be there.

I personally think Diablo 2 is still going to be remembered as the best in the series. Two reasons.

One, the majority of Diablo 2 fans were preteens or teenagers when it came out. We spent years playing that game. Whatever games anyone plays at that age are going to be the ones they remember. Now that same community is grown up, with marriages, jobs, kids. They don't have the time to get that entrenched into a game. Their fondest memories will remain with the game they were able to throw countless hours into.

Two, the hack and slash genre has been out for years. Aside from going in a whole different direction there's only so much you can do with it. Diablo 2 raised the bar, and set the standard for the genre. In between Diablo 2 and 3 there have been a multitude of hack and slash games. Diablo 2 has been the measuring stick for them all. You can't beat that kind of legacy, no matter how good the next game is. Diablo 3 is being rated so harshly now because of what it had to live up to. Even if it didn't have the Battle.net server issues it wouldn't have made a huge difference. Blizzard got it right with Diablo 2. It was going to be tough to beat no matter what.

Return to “Gaming”