The enemy's gate is down.

Have a favorite?

Xbox owns!
No votes
Nintendo's never wrong. GameCube!
43%
The PS2 was done right the first time.
21%
Who needs a console? Have you seen my PC?
29%
Video games are for losers. So are forum polls.
7%

Total votes: 14

Jeff
Founder
Founder

1, 2, 3, 4! I declare a Console War!

Postby Jeff » 2004.03.24 12:38 pm

My friend across the hall has a really sweet modded Xbox. He replaced the standard 8 GB internal hard drive with a 120 GB, and has the ability to copy any Xbox game he rents or borrows to that drive to play whenever he wants. There are also about a dozen emulators from ColecoVision to Super Nintendo with more roms than you could shake a stick at. Xbox is something I swore I'd never get into, but the modding capabilities are changing my mind.

I still think Cube is the best console on the market for all sorts of reasons, but I may be adding an Xbox to my collection as soon as I can scrounge up some cash.
I do what I can.

peteyboy
Local Legend
Local Legend

Postby peteyboy » 2004.03.24 12:46 pm

PC baby!!!! There is nothing it can't do! kinda

DoomCraft
Local Legend
Local Legend

Postby DoomCraft » 2004.03.25 11:23 pm

I have a freind who is a die-hard Xbox fan. We had about a 2 month discussion on what is better, an Xbox or a PC.

When it comes to games you can virtually do the same thing for both. So it then comes down to what you prefer. I stick by my pc because I don't have the cash to buy an xbox.

But my freind did make a good point, if all you do is play video games. An xbox would be the ideal thing to get, because it's cheaper than getting a pc.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.03.26 12:54 am

If you buy an Xbox and get it modded with a 120 GB HD, it'll be about $350 total. This is without buying any games. But that's the best part; you don't have to. You can rent/borrow games and copy them fully and permanently to the hard drive. So copy 7 new games and the Xbox pays for itself. You can also load up the Xbox with any audio or video from your comp, any format, and it'll play. Not to mention the thousands of roms for tons of consoles that come preloaded from the modders.

It's competittion for a PC, or anything really, as far as that goes. It's got portablility going for it, too. Just take an Xbox, a controller, and the connection cables, and you have enough games, music, movies, and old games to last you years.

Hmmm. I may have to find some cash.
I do what I can.

playswithflowers
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby playswithflowers » 2004.03.31 12:54 am

EEEK! Computer talk!! My brain turns to mush! My friend mike did that with his xbox, its like a mini computer....damn him!!

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.04.26 3:52 pm

It's a tempting investment, but I think I'll hold off on it. My roommate for next year is the one with the modded one, so I'll just play with his.
I do what I can.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.04.26 10:14 pm

O, O, O, this is the topic for me. They are all good except:
Video games are for losers. So are forum polls.

XBox: Good games and graphics
PS2: Most Gaming titles
Nintendo: The one that has started it all, the Zelda and Mario series will never die.
PC: Well without a PC none of the above would be here.

Again alot of it is preference, cause you can mod all of them just as well. Just like the AMD vs. INTEL. Topic, its all preference.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.04.26 10:24 pm

I would disagree with you there. Cube is pretty limited as far as modding opportunities goes, unless you have the expensive full-size Panasonic version. PS2 doesn't come close to Xbox as far as versatility in inner mechanics, and the PC owns all in that respect, but since it doesnt have the portability of consoles, it doesnt get to compete.
I do what I can.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.10.07 5:25 pm

I want to buy a Xbox just for Chronicles of Riddick and Fable. I'm not into the whole console live but its growing on me. I love arguing with the 12 year old thats owning me 3 states away.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.10.18 1:24 pm

Nintendo made it clear that their goal wasn't online play. They really didn't believe in it console wise. According to their e3 annoucements earlier this year. Apparently their new system is supposed to revolutionize console gaming. I can't really elaborate but just do google search on it.

The Nintendo Revolution

JHGNate
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby JHGNate » 2004.10.19 4:29 pm

jeff wrote:I would disagree with you there. Cube is pretty limited as far as modding opportunities goes, unless you have the expensive full-size Panasonic version. PS2 doesn't come close to Xbox as far as versatility in inner mechanics, and the PC owns all in that respect, but since it doesnt have the portability of consoles, it doesnt get to compete.

Yeah, XBox is a bit easier when it comes to mods. The PS2 takes a little bit more "know how" of other things than just gaming.
Ask not what your forum can do for you; ask what you can do for your forum.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.10.19 7:00 pm

that, and it wasn't designed as a pc/console bridge. xbox has standard pc architecture. (well, close enough), with IDE drives and USB controller ports (they are actually USB, just a funny shape)... so a lot of the basic standards apply. you can do so much with them because there's not much different between them and an x86 pc.
I do what I can.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.10.19 7:10 pm

Nate wrote:
jeff wrote:I would disagree with you there. Cube is pretty limited as far as modding opportunities goes, unless you have the expensive full-size Panasonic version. PS2 doesn't come close to Xbox as far as versatility in inner mechanics, and the PC owns all in that respect, but since it doesnt have the portability of consoles, it doesnt get to compete.

Yeah, XBox is a bit easier when it comes to mods. The PS2 takes a little bit more "know how" of other things than just gaming.

No you just need to know how to solder well.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.10.19 7:20 pm

Well, setup for either requires some basic electrical skills. That, and some steady hands. They make solder-less "screw-in" mods for both systems, but the functionality and durability of each are questionable. The thing is, if you mod a PS2, you can play burned and import games and movies, and you can use the hard drive as storage in some cases. But that's about it. There isn't much out there, besides the official PS2 linux kit, that lets you really change the console's functionality.

The Xbox, on the other hand, seems ripe for plundering. You can basically turn it into a Windows Media Center PC, an FTP-accessable network computer, and a multi-platform emulator solution. That, and you can add or upgrade its internal storage, copy any game you want to an internal hard drive, and have the option to switch back into "OEM mode" for online gaming.

Both systems have a sliding scale of difficulty for modding them because of the multitude of solutions out there. But I think Xbox has the upper hand in what modding can actually mean to the system.
I do what I can.

Return to “Gaming”