2004 E3

The enemy's gate is down.
Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

2004 E3

Postby Kage » 2004.05.22 3:28 pm

I have been wanting to comment on this years E3 but out of laziness I haven't.

So here it goes.
This year has been loaded(like all years) With games, platforms, and gaming hardware that I just can't wait to come out.
  • Prince of Persia II
  • Tony Hawk Underground II
  • Alienware ALX PC
  • Sly Cooper 2 and Thevius Raccoonus
  • Half Life 2 (hopefully for real this time)
  • The new n-gage
  • The X-factore PC
  • PS Handled
  • Nintendo GameBoy DS
  • Cowboy Beebop
  • Gundam Seed
  • And news on the Phantom (oh baby)

and tons of more that would probably take me all day to list.

Unfortunetly everything that is showed here take about half to a full year till they are introduced but its enough to get you syked about them. Thats for damn sure. These are just my opinions on the cool games that might be coming out. I definetly can't wait untill I can get a shot at the e3 floor in person.

peteyboy
Local Legend
Local Legend

Postby peteyboy » 2004.05.24 11:27 pm

They are making a Cowboy Bebop video game?!? noooooooo.... Why ruin something so good. I suppose I can't really judge until I play it.

I am also looking forward to THUG2 (Tony Hawk Underground II). I love the series, although my favorite is THPS4.

We should be playing Half-Life 2 right NOW. Stupid developers, get your game finished when you say.

GB DS, Another great concept from nintendo. Out of all the console companies, you have to admit that Nintendo has the greatest ideas, systems as well as type of games.

I have yet to finish Prince of Persia the original, but I'm sure the 2nd will be rock'n.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.05.24 11:44 pm

I think the DS is going to be the Virtual Boy's successor. It sounds too gimmicky to be good. I want Metroid Prime 2, Nintendo; get that out first.

I wonder if Sony is going to do with the PSP what Nintedo did with the GBA and port some old PSX titles. That could prove to be quite a selling point. I'd like to see a finished model of that thing tho, and not just some conceptual drawing. Also, if they're going to be using small, cartridge-contained optical discs, how are they going to take care of gamesaves? Internal memory? That'd suck. What if you had like 50 games saved on your PSP and it screwed up or you lost it? Even an external memory card is iffy... You'd have too much stuff coming out of that handheld. They should just revitalize their MD line. Those things are writable and good on battery life. I don't know how good they'd be for storage, but make the new discs an MD+ format or someting, the MiniDisc eqivalent of DVD. Its gotta be possible, and it'd please all the MD owners out there (there's a lot more in Europe than here, trust me)

As for new games? Never even played Half-Life. I suppose I should do that before the sequel. It sure looks purdy tho. I'm waiting for Doom 3 and StarCraft: Ghost.
I do what I can.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.05.25 9:13 am

If the DS comes out I doubt it will be any lower then the best. Dual touch screens, dual processors, 1 gigabit of semiconductor memory. If thats not enough to tickle your fancy then read the this.
The e3insider gives alot more information and not opinionated. They also have images of DS

As for the PSP I am a bit more excited. I am very faithful to Nintendo but this cuts the cake for handhelds:

PSP Specifications:

CPU

MIPS R4000 32-bit core
128-bit bus
1-333MHz (1.2V)
8MB eDRAM main memory
2.6Gbps bus bandwidth
FPU, VFPU (2.6 billion flops)
3D graphics extended instructions

Graphics Core

1-166MHz (1.2V)
256-bit bus
2MB eDRAM (VRAM)
5.3Gbps bus bandwidth
664 million pixels per second pizel fill rate
3D curved surface and 3D polygon engine
Support for compressed textures, hardware clipping, morphing, bone, tessellation, bezier, b-spline (NURBS)
Maximum of 33 million polygons per second
24-bit full color (RGBA)

Sound Core

VME (Virtual Mobile Engine)
Reconfigurable DSP
166MHz (1.2 V)
128-bit bus
5 giga operations per second
CODEC capabilities
3D sound, 7.1 channels
Synthesizer, effecter, and other abilities
ATRAC3 plus, AAC, MP3 for audio

Media Engine

MIPS R4000 32-bit core
128-bit bus
1-333MHz (1.2V)
2MB eDRAM submemory
90nm CMOS

Media

UMD (Universal Media Disc)
60mm-diameter disc
660nm laser diode
1.8GB capacity (dual-layered disc)
11Mbps transfer rate
AES crypto system
Unique disc ID
Shock proof
Regional code system
Parental lock system
Repeat ordering system

More Specifications

16:9-format widescreen TFT LCD (480x272 pixels, 24-bit full color)
MPEG4 AVC decoder
Wireless LAN (802.11)
IrDA (Infrared Data Association)
USB 2.0
Memory Stick
AV in/out
Stereo headphone out
Lithium ion battery
Expansion port

This is what the game discs look like
They do have internal memory but they also have memory chips for backup options and such. I want to get my hands on both handhelds if possible.

I almost forgot about the new Zelda games coming out. The more mature version will be one hell of a game.
Yes, for concept screenshots!

Everything about anything on the e3 floor you can search up yourself here.

I really need to find away to get my ass to LA to get on the e3 floor. I am so excited, this is my time of the year.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.07.01 5:51 pm

peteyboy wrote:We should be playing Half-Life 2 right NOW. Stupid developers, get your game finished when you say.

This August :) or so says msnbc.com. I can't wait because of Counter-Strike source. http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_ ... 4_cam.html

Oh and Metroid 2 is on its way :)
http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_ ... 3_2k4.html
can you say multiplayer?

Return to “Gaming”