Doom3

The enemy's gate is down.
nrunge
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Doom3

Postby nrunge » 2004.08.03 1:51 am

Tomorrow I will have ISO images of Doom3. If anyone has an FTP server or webspace for the 2 gigs of images I would be happy to upload them, although my up is capped at 15k p/sec so it will take a while.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.08.03 7:27 am

Cool! You could park them here. Check your PMs. I didn't feel like posting the info for all to see, but I've no problems sharing the files once I have them.
I do what I can.

nrunge
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby nrunge » 2004.08.03 11:38 am

I will do so. I am going to rip the disks to ISO's then upload them.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.08.03 12:56 pm

While it's always nice to have a new shoot-em-up, especially one with the heritage Doom has, I fail to see what will be so exciting about this game. What sets it apart?
I do what I can.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.08.03 1:43 pm

It's amazing. The game is eye candy along with other things especially the story line.. once you play it I think you will understand.

nrunge
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby nrunge » 2004.08.04 12:40 am

I fail to see what will be so exciting about this game. What sets it apart?

1. Because id software has set the pace for FPS games since Wolfenstein
2. Because John Carmack is a graphics programming guru (on the side he dabbles in rocket sciences)[/quote]

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.08.04 9:09 pm

BEWARE: This game is so graphically demanding that it will fry your graphics card if you are running a low end model graphics card. Also if you are running an ATI version BEWARE. This is a nVidia game therefor favors the nVidia graphics card. You need to do some tweaking in order to make it ATI compatible. I learned this the hard way. It fried my Radeon 9600 SE, fortunately I have it up and running with updated drivers. I'll post the fix for ATI users in when I find it. Heed my warning it will fry any lower end model graphic cards. No matter if it is a nVidia or a ATI.

(The game is incredible. Even at the lowest settings the game looks unbelievably excellent.)

*cough*Benchmark Software*cough*

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.08.04 10:01 pm

Define "fried"... :?
I do what I can.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.08.04 10:25 pm

Well I'll tell you what happened.

I (well nate) was playing Doom3 multiplayer, the screen turned blue.. nothing but blue not the blue screen of death, just blue. Couldn't do anything. Move my mouse, CTR+ALT+DLT, nothing. So I restarted the computer and it booted in safe mode. So I putzed with the drivers to where I could get out of safe mode. Once I got out the resolution was crappy as hell. 600x800, 16 bit color. I adjusted them and updated my drivers and everything was cosure.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.08.04 10:41 pm

Kosher. :)

Yeah, Petey's had some odd luck with games as well. He'd get DOS-prompt lookin' screens.

I hope my GF3Ti500 is up to the task. Did one of you guys buy the game, steal it, or are you playing the demo? I anxiously await my ISO images, but so far Runge hasn't even checked his PMs. :P
I do what I can.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.08.04 10:48 pm

*cough*BitTorrent*cough* :). It's really hard to find a code key that works for multiplayer though.

nrunge
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby nrunge » 2004.08.06 12:16 am

Its funny how police in this day and age can hold both a flashlight and a gun at the same time but a Space Marine 500 years from now has yet to master that talent. Tomorrow I will rip the ISO images and start uploading them, I apoligize for the latency but I have been putting in some extra hours at Best Buy. I also have yet to make the decision as to whether I am willing to put $150-200 bucks towords a video card that I will basically use to play one game (as I dont game much anymore). I am first waiting for the Linux binaries to be released, then for a co-op mod. I cant fucking believe that they didnt have a co-op option for the PC version, that was my favorite part of Doom2. I really can't get into single player PC games anymore.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.08.06 12:59 am

Hey, you can always beat the monsters to death with your flashlight. That's always my reaction

Turn, jump in seat, beat with flashlight, backup, switch to gun, shoot. I've been quite attached to the multiplayer lately though.

By the way. I figured out my problem.

UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS BEFORE YOU PLAY THIS GAME, ITS IMPERATIVE. Both nVidia and ATi released driver updates specifically for the release of the game. Update them.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.08.06 12:08 pm

jeff wrote:Kosher. :)

Yeah, Petey's had some odd luck with games as well. He'd get DOS-prompt lookin' screens.

I hope my GF3Ti500 is up to the task. Did one of you guys buy the game, steal it, or are you playing the demo? I anxiously await my ISO images, but so far Runge hasn't even checked his PMs. :P

By the way, if you would like a copy I can burn the files to CD(s) for ya(it would save you 48 hours of BitTorrenting). You can play multiplayer if:

-You create your own server
-Find a "cracked server"

Other then that good luck finding an unused code key.

(P.S. congratulations, you've reached the leet posting level :)
#1 jeff 1337 )

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.08.06 1:16 pm

how deliciously lamers of me :) yay! please burn for me. while I'm home i shut my pc off daily (cheap parents) so I don't get to do long downloads that much.
I do what I can.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.08.06 3:08 pm

Heh, I scrolled down and saw the all powerful number so I thought I would acknowledge it :).

Next time were at the Pig I'll drop them in your mail box or something with a copy of WinImage because you'll need that too. Unless you got it already.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.08.06 3:53 pm

WinImage? What is that and why? Aren't the CDs direct pirated?
I do what I can.

nrunge
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby nrunge » 2004.08.06 4:36 pm

WinImage? Bah! People need to learn how to use standards. I never saw what was wrong with ISO images, every Cd buring program can burn them and most ripping programs will rip them.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.08.06 5:59 pm

Well, they're already on CDs, so I was kind of wondering why I'd need an image mounter to begin with....

And yes. People who don't use bin or iso images can suck my ass.
I do what I can.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.08.06 7:15 pm

It's pretty basic. Nate decided to keep me from my own computer when the download finished to do it. Saved me some work though. Just make sure you have a .bin unpacker and you'll be fine. I planned on burning the unpacked files but if it wouldn't work I would just give you the bins with WinImage.

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/i/isoimage.htm wrote:A great utility that enables users to create and use ISO images is WinImage. In addition to WinImage many of the software programs used to create CD's also have the ability to utilize ISO files.

WinImage is used for ISOs too. :)

nrunge
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby nrunge » 2004.08.06 7:32 pm

Ahh...yes. its funny that .bin is brought up. Recently I pirated a copy of Warcraft 3 to test out the capabilities of Cedega. The copy that I got was only the .bin file which is raw binary. So I figured out how to write .Cue files. What is crazy about the format is that the .Cue file is basically identical information to what is included in the header of an ISO image. Its pretty simple stuff, just telling the burner some low level stuff about what mode to operate in and how to write sectors properly, I fail to understand why anyone would even create such a thing in the first place. I guess when it comes to tech stuff I am a bit of a purist, maybe its just so that I can stay angry at the IT industry, it tends to be what gives me my drive :] On a side note there is a program for Linux called "binchunker" that will create an ISO image out of a .bin/.cue file, I am sure there is such a thing for Windows as well.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.08.06 7:54 pm

I just think it's insanely stupid to burn a .bin file to a CD without actually burning the image. It's like zipping a zip file. (quiet, .tar boy)

And I've burned .bin files with Nero when the .cue file was missing without problems. I'm not sure how neccisary it is. But yes, I agree. ISO just seems the most simple. I wonder why most disc images aren't compressed though? It sounds like a good enough idea to me.
I do what I can.

nrunge
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby nrunge » 2004.08.07 1:03 am

The only reason that I can think of is for a company to make their burning software the de-facto standard. WinImage uses .bin/.cue, Nero uses .nrg and I think that Roxio uses yet another format. All of these programs also burn ISO images but I think they included slightly modified image standards and did not include the ability to rip to ISO in the hopes that it would edge out the competition if everyone started using whatever proprietary starndard they created. Its either that or to create an ISO image you have to pay someone a royalty. I doubt that is the case though because ISO is a non-profit standards organization (CD roms using the ISO9660 filesystem).

And for your info .tar files are not compressed whatsoever. They are just a way to "stick" a bunch of files together and make it one file (hence tar). This is very beneficial for backups that dont require compression. Large archives would take forever to compress/uncompress on a standard processor, but tar at least makes it easy to catalog them. You may think "Well isn't that what directories are for" and to a degree you are right, but if you are scanning your system with programs like Tripwire or any NDS/Anti-Virus software including those stupid sub directories could take forever and is really not necessary. However though, since a tar file is just like any other file, it can be compressed with bzip or gzip. In fact I beleive that either tar or b/gzip have built in options to create tar.gz/tar.bz files because it is so common.

And yes I can write a book on anything to do with Linux. And I just realized something about Linux. Its alot like driving a Luxury car. Its not great because of all the things that you expect from a car of prestige. You EXPECT that car to drive smoother, have more comfortable seats, and be more reliable, because those were the selling points...that is what people TOLD you the difference would be. What you DONT EXPECT is the display that tells you how many miles left you have to drive with your current ammount of gas, the fact that your window controll lights up so that you can see it at night, the fact that your brights automatically dim when there is oncoming traffic, or the extra light on the side of your car that turns on when you use your blinkers so you can see everything during your turn. Its the little touches that make a person fall in love with their automobile, the small things that show someone out there actually gives two shits about the consumers experience. Well....thats Linux, I could sit here all day and give you reasons why you SHOULD use Linux. Most likely though, you will find them yourself if you stay the course.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.08.07 5:34 am

In that case, XP is like my Taurus. You could be driving along, seemingly doing OK, and suddenly the transmission drops, taking you from 55 to 20, almost killing you.

I'm not giving up after just one shot on Debian, I'm just waiting til school starts and I have a lot more time to do some research and can screw around with my machine more.

In the meantime, I have to teach myself basic electrical engineering so I can move a car alarm. :P
I do what I can.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.08.07 1:01 pm

:lol:, thats great. The only problem with Linux that I seem to have is that alot of Games, Software, and other small things hold no support for Linux. From what I heard (I never tried linux, or researched it.) Is that any game that doesn't support Linux you have to download different programs (Wine ect.) to get the program to even work. Again, from what I have heard is to keep away from Linux unless you want to go through frustrating steps to play some simple games.

I guess what I would like to know is what are the little things of Linux that make it better then Windows, what is Linux's little side lights? What is Linux's dimmers and lighted window buttons? Bring me to the Linux side.

I doubt really that Linux will make it very far, it basically looks like only the monsters will go far (Microsoft, Intel). With the announcement of p5 and elements you can kind of tell where everything is going.

I feel like an idiot for posting this but then again, this was long time ago though.

Anyways, I am wondering this because I am building my computer and was thinking about Linux before I went with the ol' bitch Windows.

And about the .bins. I was just talking about burning the .bins to CD(s) because thats what me and nate did to transport them to his computer. I would just take the 3 seperate .bins and burn them to 3 serperate CDs. It worked easy enough.

Return to “Gaming”