Doom3

The enemy's gate is down.
Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.08.08 8:33 pm

But it makes no sense. Cuz all you can do with the CDs then, after moving the huge-ass bin files back to your HD, is throw them out. Why not just burn the bin images and save a step. It seems odd.
I do what I can.

nrunge
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby nrunge » 2004.08.08 8:57 pm

The things that make me like Linux aren't necisarrily things that you will even ever use. If you want a taste of Linux download some of the Live CD Distros like Knoppix or Slax and play around with them. I think you will find KDE to be far superior to Explorer. You will most likely find alot of things you like. And you are right, Linux is not an optimal gaming OS. If you download Cedega (formerly WineX) it is pretty cake to play alot of games. Unless you find typing. 'cedega /mnt/cdrom/setup.exe' difficult, you would be surprised. There are some games that dont work and even more that have some quirks without major tweaking. Currently under Linux I play: Warcraft III, Medal of Honor: Allied Assult, Counterstrike, Savage, Unreal Tournement 2004, Quake III, Diablo 2, Rune, Doom3 and Neverwinter Nights. I didnt have to mess with them at all, they installed just like they would in windows, Doom3, UT2004, QuakeIII, Rune, Savage and Neverwinter Nights have actually been ported to Linux so there is no need for Cedega. But to be perfectly honest I really dont play games all that much, I mainly use my computer for productivity. '

If you want some major reasons to use Linux though:

1. No Virus's
2. No Adware/Spyware
3. Free Software
4. Stability (as in having to reboot once a year stability)
"...I always tell my friends that if its in the news we dont have to worry about it because it rarely ever happens, thats what makes it news. Its when something is not in the news anymore that we have to start to worry" - Philip Greenspun

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.09.14 3:40 am

Back to the topic at hand... Doom 3. Holy. Fucking. SHIT.

First off, I'm amazed at what my GeForce3 Ti500 can manage. I can run at 1280x1024 with anti-aliasing off but all other options on high with no lag.

I hate the controls. I hate them! Damn them to hell! I think it's just that I have a hard time dealing with the light/gun switch. Honestly, doesn't this motherfucker have any duct tape!? Actually, that's not so bad; just something to get used to. I just wish I could strafe without holding down an extra button. Attention game designers: we have mice. We don't need to use the keyboard to spin. We use it to MOVE.

And move you must in this creepy fucking game. God damn! I dick around on a space station gathering all this info, and then suddenly this scientist dude lets a bunch of demons out. Demons suck. They're everywhere. And I can't stop to think. I just have to keep running, and keep killing demons. I'm given a pistol, and a shotgun with elusive ammo. Fuck.

I hate it, but I can't stop loving it. Wow. This game was definately worth it.
I do what I can.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.09.14 9:18 am

jeff wrote:Back to the topic at hand... Doom 3. Holy. Fucking. SHIT.

First off, I'm amazed at what my GeForce3 Ti500 can manage. I can run at 1280x1024 with anti-aliasing off but all other options on high with no lag.

I hate the controls. I hate them! Damn them to hell! I think it's just that I have a hard time dealing with the light/gun switch. Honestly, doesn't this motherfucker have any duct tape!? Actually, that's not so bad; just something to get used to. I just wish I could strafe without holding down an extra button. Attention game designers: we have mice. We don't need to use the keyboard to spin. We use it to MOVE.

And move you must in this creepy fucking game. God damn! I dick around on a space station gathering all this info, and then suddenly this scientist dude lets a bunch of demons out. Demons suck. They're everywhere. And I can't stop to think. I just have to keep running, and keep killing demons. I'm given a pistol, and a shotgun with elusive ammo. Fuck.

I hate it, but I can't stop loving it. Wow. This game was definately worth it.

Welcome to the club :).

If you love Doom3, you'll love Half-Life2 CS:S and the source engine. It is infuckingcredible. I challenge you to try it, no beg you to try the CS:S beta. I guarantee a pleasing experience. (Damn thats right, firewall).

By the way, did you check out the scared kid movie going around the internet playing it? Hilarious.

Return to “Gaming”