Sega
No votes

Total votes: 6

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

Postby Red » 2004.10.08 4:34 pm

I went Square. Final Fantasy rules.
I'd piss Coors if I could. You believe that happy crappy?

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.10.08 4:57 pm

Square could have gotten my vote... but they have that damn annoying Japanese chick in their commercials who whispers the company name. She freaks me out.
I do what I can.

nrunge
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby nrunge » 2004.10.10 10:25 pm

I went Nintendo all the way. Over the years they have set the standard for innovative and solid game design. I would have chosen Squaresoft but they really only defined one genre of gaming where Nintendo has done so much. I also have to add that Squaresoft WAS a great company where SquareEnix has dissapointed me to the point where I am done playing SquareEnix games.
"...I always tell my friends that if its in the news we dont have to worry about it because it rarely ever happens, thats what makes it news. Its when something is not in the news anymore that we have to start to worry" - Philip Greenspun

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.10.10 10:46 pm

Really. You know that the hdd-based FFXI was a good game when Sony releases the new, slimmer PS2 without hard drive support at all. :P
I do what I can.

Kage
The Next Big Thing
The Next Big Thing

Postby Kage » 2004.10.16 6:33 pm

I chose activision because cross platform rocks! So does the Tony Hawk series. I am usually annoyed by games made only for certain platforms but sometimes its a good idea and sometimes a must. Anyways, Activision all the way.

Electronic Arts would have gotten my vote but they are just a huge bloated company. If Idol Minds was in there I would have voted them just because my uncle works there. 8)

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2004.10.20 4:09 am

Kage chose Activision because of its Tony Hawk line, mostly. Well, technically, Tony Hawk games are created by Neversoft, which is owned by Activision. It's kind of hard to keep up with who own who, since most of these companies trade around their little development groups. Nintendo now owns Retro Studios, the creators of Metroid Prime. They used to effectively own Rare, but sold it off to Microsoft.
And yes, this is different than production deals, like Square making exclusive console partnerships and such. This is when a major game company takes a controlling interest in a smaller one.
It's a lot like record labels and artists; the right artist can effectively build a label, but they can move for better deals, create their own labels, etc. So the original question of this topic is really two part: Which primary game company makes the best production decisions, and which small development group shows the most creativity and promise?
Last edited by Jeff on 2005.01.14 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do what I can.

Return to “Gaming”