...and he waived the charges.

Postby Jeff » 2008.05.10 9:47 am

September 11, 2007

Todd Miller
Hanzak Properties, LLC
P.O. Box 2573
Appleton, WI 54912-2573

Dear Mr. Miller:

I wish to contest some of the repair charges listed in your recent letter. I am representing Peter Simon, Mike Heyer, and Tucker Roberts as well. I have listed the charges below with an explanation of our reasons for questioning them.

Common Areas – Paint only. No labor charge. [$107.23]
If you recall, we had offered to repaint the apartment to cover hole repairs and scuff marks. We were told not to as you had planned on repainting the apartment anyway. I do not understand why we are being charged for the cost of paint.

Common Areas – Repair holes in kitchen wall. [$50]
All holes that I knew of had been filled with vinyl spackling compound prior to move out. Some were not filled cleanly and required some sanding down before the walls could be repainted, but all holes were in fact filled. If this is your charge for sanding the vinyl spackle to be flush with the wall, please clarify.

Common Areas – Replace kitchen light. [$13.63]
If you are referring to the overhead light, it has been loose since move-in. If you are referring to the light over the kitchen sink, the previous light had started itself on fire and was removed. You told us not to replace it after I had offered to. As we did not cause the ceiling light to loosen or the sink light to fail, I do not understand why we are being charged for replacement.

Common Areas – Clean carpet. Excessive dirt and stains. [$105]
I was informed that you would be replacing the carpet and linoleum of the kitchen/main room area and that cleaning would not be necessary. We had both the plans and the means to replace the carpet before being told this. I do not understand why we are being charged to clean a carpet that we were told would be removed. I should note, however, that you did not list carpet cleaning as a charge for any of the individual rooms. If this is a general charge for the entire apartment, please clarify.

Bedroom #1 – Replace door. [$71.39]
This was the move-in condition of the door. This was both documented on the move-in form and with a digital camera. I do not understand why we are being charged to replace a door that was damaged before we moved in.

Bedroom #3 – Replace door. [$71.39]
This was the move-in condition of the door. This was both documented on the move-in form and with a digital camera. I do not understand why we are being charged to replace a door that was damaged before we moved in.

Allowing that the carpet cleaning charge could apply to the bedrooms, you have charged us for $313.64 worth of repairs that we do not feel it is our responsibility to pay. This letter is not a refusal of payment, simply a request for compromise or clarification. Would these charges be removed, our security deposit would be left with a positive balance of $136.67. We are willing to surrender this amount for the time you spent cleaning and performing justified repairs. If you require further information or have any questions, please call me at (xxx) xxx-xxxx.
I do what I can.

Return to “<Jeff />”