IE7?

Celebrate your inner geek. It's probably your only chance.
Jeff
Founder
Founder

IE7?

Postby Jeff » 2005.02.15 4:21 pm

I can guarantee that MS will continue to ignore W3C coding standards just to be bitches.

pcpro.co.uk wrote:Gates announces Internet Explorer 7.0
Bill Gates has announced that the release of Internet Explorer version 7.0 has been brought forward. Originally intended for release with the next version of Windows (Longhorn) next year, Microsoft has decided to launch a more secure version of its browser this year instead.

Although the major security update Windows XP Service Pack 2 greatly improved the level of security for a browser viewed by many as plagued with vulnerabilities, that perception still has not diminished. Much of the success of the open source browser Firefox is due to the fact that it is seen as more 'secure' than Internet Explorer 6.x.

Although Microsoft claimed to be relaxed about Firefox, it can't have been happy that Internet Explorer's market share has been slipping month on month.

Speaking at the annual RSA security conference, Gates said that Internet Explorer 7.0 will add new levels of security to Windows XP SP2 while maintaining the level of extensibility and compatibility that customers have come to expect. Internet Explorer 7.0 - a slight dig at Firefox as many add-ins for the product had to be recoded as the beta approached the final version. Gates also promised that version 7.0 will also provide even stronger defences against phishing attacks, malicious software and spyware. He promised that the beta release is scheduled to become available this summer.

Gates did not disclose whether any other features such as tabbed browsing would be included in version 7.0.

Bill Gates also announced that the final version AntiSpyware product currently in beta would be offered to users for free. He also revealed that over six million copies of the beta software had been downloaded since its introduction at the beginning of this year.

So why wait? You can have IE7 now.

This crazy bastard was sick enough of MS's refusal to conform to standards, so he decided to write a script that will make it conform. This project, named IE7, exists as a js file on your server so that IE 5.x-^.x users can see pages the way they were meant to be seen. No more custom CSS, no more workarounds, this one script is the answer.

Well, eventually. It's still in alpha stages, but hey, it's a start.
I do what I can.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2005.05.04 9:37 pm

And this makes me happy.
Our first and most important goal with our Cascading Style Sheet support is to remove the major inconsistencies so that web developers have a consistent set of functionality on which they can rely.

That's taken from an April 22 entry in the IE7 developers' blog. Here's hoping it means they'll adhere to CSS rules instead of making up more of their own.
I do what I can.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2005.05.04 9:57 pm

Also extremely promising is this rant on standards...
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/3/9.aspx
I do what I can.

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Re: IE7?

Postby Jeff » 2005.05.24 5:10 pm

jeff wrote:This crazy bastard was sick enough of MS's refusal to conform to standards, so he decided to write a script that will make it conform. This project, named IE7, exists as a js file on your server so that IE 5.x-^.x users can see pages the way they were meant to be seen. No more custom CSS, no more workarounds, this one script is the answer.

I'm now using the IE7 script in all my pages. It fixes all of my CSS compatibility problems, and allows me to fully utilize PNG transparency (opacity rocks!). No longer will I have to waste time coding workarounds. :)
I do what I can.

JHGNate
As Seen On TV
As Seen On TV

Postby JHGNate » 2005.05.26 7:50 am

YES! Now I can use transparent PNGs without any fancy scripts and whatnot!
Ask not what your forum can do for you; ask what you can do for your forum.

Return to “Nerd Council”