Collaborative Story

Read. Discuss.
Jeff
Founder
Founder

Collaborative Story

Postby Jeff » 2012.02.08 11:49 pm

Here's a thought: what if we wrote a story using the forum? I'd love to dig back into some creative writing again just to keep sharp, and Red, you're too damn good at it not to write more stories.

We'd have to decide who wants in, what general topic, and who wants to kick it off. Aside from that, I have some ideas for guidelines.

Rules
  • Turns are passed round-robin among the contributors in a predetermined order.
  • When it's your turn to write, you have one week to post your contribution. The next turn begins as soon as you post.
  • Each contribution has to be at least 250 words. It's hard to put any real substance in anything smaller.
  • You are allowed to edit your contribution at any time for spelling or grammar mistakes. You can also edit for clarity or choice of language or phrasing, but you can't change any story elements. In short, you can say something differently, you just can't say something different.
  • Respect others' efforts. Don't just dead-end their storylines and kill their characters. Develop them as if they were your own ideas.
  • The story ends when all contributors agree it's over or after a preset amount of turns.
  • There will be two forum topics for the story. One will be exclusively for the story itself, the other will be for comments from the contributors and readers alike. It'll be easier to read that way.

Any takers? Red, even if it's just you and me, this could be fun. And we could always have more than one going at a time.

PS: Post-apocalyptic survival tales are off-limits as a story topic. :wink:
I do what I can.

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

Re: Collaborative Story

Postby Red » 2012.02.09 7:08 am

I'm in, and thank you for killing the first story that came to mind.

I demand you think of a replacement!
I'd piss Coors if I could. You believe that happy crappy?

Red
Asshole Admin
Asshole Admin

Postby Red » 2012.02.09 11:38 am

One point I don't agree with - the time limit. This is for fun and we're not submitting it anywhere. I vote we wipe that part off the agenda.
I'd piss Coors if I could. You believe that happy crappy?

Jeff
Founder
Founder

Postby Jeff » 2012.02.09 9:00 pm

That was actually the first rule I thought of. The reason behind it is this: I'm terrible at actually finishing anything. A lot of times in college, I only completed a creative writing assignment because of the deadline. I tend to write, rewrite, delete, question... Deadlines are usually the only thing that let me put a stamp on something and accept it instead of letting insecurity crush it to death.

I tried hard to think of a good combination of deadline timing and length requirement. 250 words really isn't much:
Lipsum Generator wrote:Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Etiam venenatis, nisl eu venenatis ultrices, purus enim volutpat nisi, eget eleifend orci tortor at risus. Aliquam nec justo id nisl vehicula pharetra. Fusce tempus, lacus id vulputate dictum, nisl magna rutrum risus, a convallis lectus arcu eu tellus. Aenean felis nisl, pulvinar ut tincidunt vel, varius sed ligula. Morbi hendrerit semper lacus, eget scelerisque tellus interdum eget. Donec et ultricies nisl. Vestibulum vitae elit sapien. Ut viverra eleifend mattis. Etiam enim nisl, bibendum vitae egestas quis, vulputate in felis. Vivamus pulvinar, mauris et facilisis aliquam, mauris nulla malesuada urna, eu dictum tellus diam a nisi. Vivamus eget condimentum magna.

Aenean congue luctus feugiat. Aliquam dignissim pellentesque ante, vel fringilla nulla pretium nec. Proin rutrum pharetra nisl, ac auctor lacus placerat et. Nullam faucibus purus sit amet odio iaculis gravida. Aliquam mauris nibh, commodo sit amet interdum sed, congue in velit. Donec in rutrum nisi. Nulla a nisi nunc. Nullam at tellus massa. Mauris at sodales est. Nunc gravida erat eget ipsum mattis gravida.

Sed metus lacus, ornare quis luctus ac, cursus eleifend metus. Phasellus malesuada venenatis dolor, vitae ultrices ipsum placerat in. Donec luctus nunc nec enim condimentum sodales tristique quam viverra. Maecenas suscipit, risus quis pellentesque pulvinar, lacus sem gravida augue, quis volutpat ipsum dui eget orci. Fusce ipsum lacus, posuere at varius id, dictum sit amet quam. Fusce volutpat consequat consequat. Sed mauris sapien, elementum sed ultricies eget, laoreet ut felis. Quisque interdum, libero a dictum scelerisque, tortor metus.

That shouldn't be hard to come up with in a week's time. And I think the short length might actually help the story--you have just enough space to say something original every time but not enough to monopolize an entire storyline.

We can still kill the deadline or just use it as a rough goal rather than a hard limit; I was just thinking of ways to keep myself, more than anyone else, motivated and productive.

Also, story springboards:
  • Discovering infidelity
  • Waking up with no idea where you are or memory of the last several days
  • ...basically I'm leaning towards situations where the reader is sort of thrust upon the character in the middle of a "what the fuck do I do now?" moment.
I do what I can.

Return to “Lit Crit”